Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Deluxe Jazz - Upgrading pickups and preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jenderfazz, May 13, 2005.

1. I love my American Deluxe J. It has amazing feel and sounds incredible unplugged. However, plugged in, it sounds a bit "active" and hi-fi. I have the old 97 style with the Suhr single pole pickups. Any suggestions on pickups (or even a preamp) to replace them with? Is the preamp even the problem, or is it the pickups? Also, would converting it to 18 volts help the sound (giving a bit more headroom - maybe giving it a cleaner sound?)? Thanks.

Oh, and the sound I'm going for is some low end growl... maybe a bit thicker than the usual J sound since I like soloing the neck pickup. Something a bit vintage sounding in that it's not overly hot sounding, but that has a good deep fundamental and a bit of edge.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I put a set of Nordtrand NJ4SE's in my MIA Jazz, and the difference is amazing. Nice, fat, vintage tone and yet still modern. There are others, but the Nordies do it for me.

-Mike

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    yeah Noordies in mine too but it still has that "active vibe" the overall tone is great and the B stringcame to life with the new pickups. I have a feeling you might like barts based on your comments. The pre-amp in the Fender sounds to me like it has a little curve built in. With Nordstrand pickups you might have enough gain to bypass the Pre-amp which could give you a nice passive tone.

My Lull has seymour duncans single coils with a bart 3 band pre and it has a great vintage smooth/full sound, much more vintage than the Fender electronics which sound "kinda suped up" in my opinion.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I find that I get the best growl from passive jazz pickups when using them without a preamp.

5. I put Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups in my MIA Jazz with S-1 switch. They are 12.5K resistive windings vs. 8K stock.
    They sound very fat, lots of clarity, growl when needed, or if you roll the bridge pickup off to 3/4 and the tone to 1/2 they get very good smooth lows. They made my bass sound more expensive and QUIET :hyper: