Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Deluxe Jazz V body wood question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Feb 9, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I’m thinking of probably getting an American Deluxe Jazz Bass V. I try to always get Maple FBs on any bass I get…just have always liked looks and tone over rosewood. My question is this…I can’t decide if the body should be alder or ash. I play strictly finger-style (no pick or slap) in a hard rock/punk rock band. The difference in price is around $110.00 more for an Ash body. I know ash has better grain and I like the tone I’m just needing some help with determining which body will produce the best finger-style “rock” tone for me and if the $110.00 extra is worth it. I’ve played mainly ash bodied basses in the past, but I’m not opposed to alder at all. So would you finger-style players spend the extra dough for a Aged Cherry-burst or Tobacco Sunburst ash body or go with an Amber or 3-Tone Sunburst alder body?
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I would go for the ash version, but that's just me and my thing for Fender's awesome aged cherry sunburst finish :eek:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure alder vs. ash will have much of any incidence on tone, due to the 3-band EQ on the bass and whatever you can tweak on your amp/preamp.

Cheers,
    JL

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Jean. Yeah that Cherryburst is tempting.
    -Bazz-

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Lemme tell ya, that looks NOTHING like the bass in your avatar.
    I've always been partial to Ash bodies myself. That's more of a personal preference than anything. As we always tend to say; go try 'em both, see which one YOU like better.

Ray

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    What does not look like the bass in my avatar ???
    I'm afraid I did not understand your post.

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    anyone else? Alder (Amber) or Ash (Cherryburst)...fingerstyle.
    Thanks!
    -Bazz-

7. I have the Ash Aged Cherry too, which I love, but you already knew that :)

Attached Files:

8. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    I like the amber finish best

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for your feedback, guys. I went with the Amber/Alder body with Maple/Maple neck. Can't wait until it gets here!
    -Bazz-

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Er, it was sarcasm ;)

Ray

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've owned both,and there may have been a little difference with the Ash bodied bass,but not by much.I still think it has a lot to do with pickup placement,but that is JMO