American Deluxe P. The noted users.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 26, 2004.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    THis bass is not the most popular Fender around.

I have seen it in the hands of D. Ellefson of Megadeth fame, Chi Cheng of the deftones.

Paz Lechantin plays one too.

I would love to know if you have seen others noted players with this bass. I am interesed mostly in the V version 4+1 headstock, the 2002 upgraded model. But i am also interested in the 4 string version too.

2. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I'm pretty sure ChiChi's is a custom shop model and it's passive. Seems like I read this in BP a couple months ago. If I remember correctly, he likes the passive tone and said something about sweat messing up the active pickups. I've also read complaints about the Fender pre-amp. Most people seem to feel that Fender does a much better job with passive rather than active pickups.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thought paz played the 4 string ver. of that?
  4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I most definitely feel that way
  5. I like em, but i am a P fan so i may be biased on that.

I tried one 5 a couple years ago, it felt nice and was quite versatile and aggressive.
    A great bass i thought.
  6. The bassist from Real Big Fish (can't remember his name) uses one in the video for where have you been.
  7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Danny Lohner from NIN uses one point Paz was using one borrowed from him that had "lohner" painted or something on the body. Think also that Twiggy or whoever the new guy with A Perfect Circle uses one too. Mebbe the bassist from QOTSA too.
  8. APC's new bassit twiggy (not sure of his real name) plays one.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    They are great basses. Highly underated. I have liked every one I have played. They are very versatile basses.
  10. 95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bobby Sheehan, God rest his soul, who was the bassist for Blues Traveler, occasionally played a P Deluxe.
  11. Daniel Shulman,the bassist for Garbage plays one.

Chi Cheng's Pbasses are custom shop standard passive precisions (20 fret) w. the humbucker added at the bridge.