American Deluxe Precision 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Anybody play one of these.I can't find one anywhere in my area to try out. If anyone has played one can you tell me what they sound like. I'm wondereing if they sound close to the Stingray Five.
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've been looking for info as well and have found NOTHING written about it. However, I would doubt very seriously that it sounds anything like a stingray.
    The pickup placement just isn't there. Isn't there a sound clip at the fender website?
  3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i would never even think of going to fender for a 5 string(or a four string for that matter:D ) but if you must do yourself a favor and a least try it before you buy it or you might be kicking youself later
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've played a couple, and they rule. It is possible to get a Stingray-ish sound out of them, plus you can get a kind of Jazzy sound too. If I was going to buy another Fender, this would be the one.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I own the P-Deluxe 4 string and I own a MM Sterling. I hoped the P bass would sound something like the MM cuz I wanted the best of both worlds, but trust me - it doesn't even come close. For an impressive looking pickup, it's really kind of thin sounding. Has a lot of cut to it, but now much bottom at all. There's a funkiness and growl in the MM that is just totally not present in the P. Definitely more Jazz sounding, I can get Jaco-ish sounds out of it. Don't get me wrong, I've grown to really love the P-bass, but I can't get it to sound anything like my MM.

I still want the best of both worlds and I hear that the Warwiick Jazzman nails the MM sound. I've never played one (and I hope my bubble isn't busted when I finally do), but I'm setting my sights on that for my next bass. If you're looking for something versatile that also has a MM sound I'd try the Warwick. I hear that Laklands also come close, and Carvin's look like they do it all???? Never played one though.

Hope that was helpful.
  6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i second munji... if i were ever to buy a fender... the american deluxe P5 would be the one... i love that bass... when i have the cash i'll own it and a Ray-5.... the fender can definately get a lot of differnent tones...

if you want a sound clip of the fender, click on the most recent two songs in my signature... Decietful Heartache has a bass-only intro and Fallen Hero show's how it fits into a mix.

The songs were played with both pickups even, brand new nickel fender roundwounds, and a little treble boost.

yes this is just a ploy to try to get you to listen to the clips of my playing.. but they ARE on the bass that you're asking so many questions about, so there you go.

EDIT... ok i have a carvin and it is NOT a stingray or a fender american deluxe p-5... actually if you were to put new pickups in it, it might be cool... but that's a lot harder than you would imagine... point being carvin does NOT sound like its pickup would suggest.
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I like the 5 string P and I may have bought one except for the fact it wouldn't get much playing time in comparison to my Roscoe Beck. Part of it is my affinity for passive electronics but I could have lived with the P5 if it had not been for the RB5.As an aside, the RB5 gets some pretty credible P tones.
  8. I liked the P Dlx, but it doesn't sound like a MM. But its not supposed to either, the Hummer in the P Dlx isn made anything like the MM pickups. The P Dlx pickup (as I read in an interview), basically what they did is put 2 Jazz Pickups together.
  9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Bass Player did review the 5 and IIRC they said the B string was the weakness. They preferred/suggested getting a maple board to get more focus on it. They also like the 4 and mentioned it as one of the 10 best gear ideas of the last 10 years for what its worth.

I've had both a 'Ray and a P deluxe. I think that both did things the other did not. They did not overlap in what they could do/sound like.
  10. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i wipe my a$$ with bass player reviews
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    True. In all fairness, the P-deluxe can do many things the MM never will. I use the MM for most of my original stuff (rock w a punk edge). I use the P for cover gigs.
  12. Ditto.

My RB5 is just wonderful, and IMO is the best 5 string that Fender makes.
  13. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    fender active basses suck i tried out one of the fender deluxe active jazz bass it sucked. I suggest if you want a 5 string look into a musicman. later on im going to guitar villa to compare my bro's reverend 5 string with a rickenbacker 5 string(i love hollowbody bass sounds) fender 5 strings just aren't the greatest buy. good luck