American Deluxe Precision V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 10, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm still trying to understand how this bass sound. can you tell me more about the sound of the humbucker? is the P style pickup real close to the traditional Precision sound? how good is the bass about fretjos, neck and construction? how good is the preamp? HOw much is it in the USA? How this bass compare to the G&L L2500, MMStringray5 and to the American Deluxe Jazz V? thanks a lot guys!
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    no one played one of these, really?
    come on!
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I can give you some thoughts on the American Deluxe 4 vs. an L-2000 and a Stingray 4 (I'm not a fiver).

I had a '98 Fender Am Deluxe P with maple board and translucent crimson over alder body. The quality of the construction was excellent. Good fretwork, solid and I liked the rolled fretboard edges. For sounds it had a P-sound with the neck pickup only and the bridge pickup could add some bite. I felt that it could approach a Stingray sound (but not reach it). I was never completely happy with the P-sound (probably because of the active electronics - but maybe because of my specific P-deluxe, I've never tried another). I eventually traded it because it wasn't completely satisfying to me sonically - but I was searching for the "perfect bass" for me. It was a well-made bass with some good sounds, not just the ones I wanted.

I had a '98 (? I think) MM Stingray that I had traded in for the Fender. The Stingray was maple board and ash body (translucent teal => ash). The quality of construction was also excellent. Solid and well-made. I personally prefer the oil-finished neck the Stingray has over the lacquered Fender neck. The Stingray was supremely punchy, very aggressive and biting. The preamp was sometimes noisy on me. I talked to EB tech support (excellent) about it and compared it to others in the shop and came to the conclusion that it was just a quirk of the EB preamp. Sometimes it's a bit noisy unless you cut the highs (YMMV - in some environments it was dead quiet, in others noisy). I traded it for the Fender because while it was great for punchy and biting, I couldn't get a satisfying smooth sound out of it. I later had another Stingray for a while and ended up selling it after being happier with the capabilities of an MTD Beast (jazz-style) bass I had at the same time.

I'm on my second L-2000. Rosewood board and alder body. Construction is good. I think of the attention to detail being maybe just a hair below the Fender & Stingray because of the way the fret edges feel to me. A little more time could have been spent smoothing them out. It's a nit but something I did notice. I personally love the sound of the L-2000. The G&L MFD pickups have a huge bottom that I think exceeds the Stingray. And with the various combinations (series/parallel, active/passive, pickup combinations) there are a lot of sounds in there. It doesn't exactly do a Stingray, but does get very agressive and punchy. I'm not sure it does an exact P-bass but the neck pickup in series is deep, warm and has kept me from keeping the couple of P-basses I've tried (Am Std, Am Hotrod) - I prefer the G&L.

I think all three basses are winners. Great construction. Good sounds. I think it's a personal preference on which one anyone would prefer. With a five-string you've got more complications (string spacing, how good the B is, etc.) so there may be additional considerations that will sway you beyond just personal preference.

There's my 2 cents. I hope it helped some.