Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Deluxe Vs. Standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, May 11, 2005.

1. I'm planning to change my passive warwick corvette with a fender jazzbass...
    The local store carries a standard american jazzbass, wich I tried today. I really liked it. The neck is very different to my warwick, but I got used to it pretty fast.
    I have heard so many great things about the new deluxe model, though. And this one is truly a beautiful baby:
    http://www.infographic.com/fender/detail.asp?FenderPN=0194560

Is the deluxe really a better bass guitar than the standard, construction-wise, or is sound the only difference? I don't have the chance to try out the deluxe before I buy it. Am I able to get the standard jazzbass-sound from it as well, or is it more like my corvette? And at last, wich would you prefer?

Btw, I have thunderfunk amp and schroeder 120 cab.

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the dlx is a totally different animal. way different tones, different (faster) neck, active. I like the dlxs better you may not. They (dlxs) are getting alot of attention now thanks to the SCN pickups (Bill Lawrence).
    -Bazz-

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own both versions of this bass, passive and active and here's my take: The standard MIA bass is a meat and potatoes bass, it's what I reach for when I go to a place iv'e never been and don't know what the room has to offer. Now the active version is a different animal, tonal variety at the turn of a knob. No more trips back to adjust anything on the amp, it's all at the controls on the bass. They do not sound like each other but both have their place in anyone's arsenal!
    The dlx bass has a smaller body and a longer 22 fret neck. The dlx will most likely have pretty abalone inlays in the neck.

4. Ok, so when I only can afford one of them? :( :)

Thanks for the help, keep it coming!

5. I prefer the American Deluxe, personally. The latest American Deluxes I've played have been impeccable, right out of the box. Extremely comfortable to play, beautiful woods and solid construction, and dead quiet and sweet tone. The American series are the standard (no pun intended) when it comes to passive basses and are just a great choice for any player looking for "meat and potatoes", as pyrohr pointed out. I think that lately, however, the deluxes come from the factory playing better and sounding amazing with the SCN pickups. Not to take away from the standards - the deluxes are just that great. A good modern take on the vintage vibe, they are my favorite Fender bass at the moment.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Just depends on what you want. If you want a vintage vibe, go with the standard. If you want a more modern tone, the deluxe may be your thing. Personally I'd go for the standard; I just don't care for active basses.

If I did get a new standard jazz, the first thing I'd probably do is order a set of Fralin pickups because they sound more like pickups from an old jazz, but that's just me.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree with Jenderfazz about the outstanding construction and playability of the American Deluxe series. They are definitely a step up from the American Series, and if you want a professional quality active bass at a reasonable price they're a good bet.

But my taste is like R379 -- I just can't get into active basses no matter how hard I try. So I sold my '99 American Deluxe Precision, which was absolutely gorgeous, and bought a new American Series Precision. For my roots in classic/hard/punk rock, the old school P bass is the much better choice.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a 2000 MIA natural ash bodied/maple necked jazz with fralins in it and it's my staple bass. The fralins really cleaned up the low end and made it much clearer, the high end is more glassy imho.
    Now as far as MIA dlx basses sounding modern, that was true with the older ones with "noiseless" pups but the new scn pups give the dlx more of a refined vintage sound. you do notice that the bass is active but it's not an overpowering active sound. Even my Victor Bailey sounds way way different with the "noiseless" pups than my 98 MIA 9volt dlx jazz. What you could do is get the standard MIA jazz and get an outboard pre-amp to use with it. I have an Aguilar DB924 outboard pre that I can use with any bass, The only drawback is the outboard will have only a two band eq while the dlx bass will have the mid control.

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Pyrohr;

Thanks for correcting me. Didn't know the sound had changed that much. I'm still going to keep my passive basses, though.

10. Thanks again - you guys are helpful as always!
    Guess I just have to go to Oslo to try a Deluxe out myself.
    If it's true like some say, that its got a more "refined" vintage sound - I'm very interested....
    Looking forward to get rid of that warwick. Good bass, but it got no soul:)

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They're a bit different, but they both have the same quality of construction workmanship and materials.
    The standard for me. I'm not big on active basses, but that's just a preference. I just love the plug and forget always perfect sound of the standard.

12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    American Jazz Deluxe are outstanding basses,they sound in the righ way like a bass is support to sound

13. So, I got to A - B them today.
    Honestly, I liked the passive most. The deluxe was a little bit too "hot" for me. I could just easier get a tone I liked out of the standard. It nailed the Jaco-sound way better, too. (Not that it's very important to me, but...)
    I think I'm going to go with the standard, as it simply was the bass I liked most.

14. Fishman

Fishman

May 24, 2005
    Hamilton ON
    I found them to be very different in a side by side comparison, the delux simply didn't have as nice a feel and tone for what I was looking for, so I went with the Standard. It's been great!

Fishman

PS Try 'em both if you can

15. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i'd go with the standard...simpler is better sometimes...i played both at GC and i like the standard sound better...just depends on what type of music you play

16. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    One thing I notice when playing each model side by side is that the deluxe has a better ergonomic design, i.e. smaller body, light-weight tuners, and the neck plays a bit better in my hands. The standards I've demoed seemed a bit heavier and had a bit of neck dive (this is playing sitting down without a strap, not sure if the balance is better when played standing with a strap). But there is something about the simplicity of the standard, just fun to play.

17. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    The neck on the deluxe is killer. Its fast but it still feels incredibly sturdy.
    And thats where what I like about it ends.
    I guess since I'm so used to my fenders being big bodied the deluxe threw me off with its tiny little profile.
    It is a great sounding bass, but it doesn't sound like a jazz bass in my mind.
    Even my bartolini pre-amp loaded jazz sounds more like a vintage jazz to me.

I'd like to get the neck off of a deluxe jazz though, damn.

18. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The main thing that sold me on a Deluxe over a Standard is that you can't get a Standard 5 string w/a maple fretboard. And the fact that the deluxe necks are really nice (fast & comfortable) to play on.