American Elite Precision Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by allboutbass, Apr 8, 2020.

1. allboutbass

allboutbass

Oct 2, 2019
    I have this American Elite Precision that I really like, I bought it 8 months ago or so. It is very versatile and the neck is very comfortable... any way.

I was planning to try a different P pickup just to experiment and was thinking to try a Pure Vintage '63 on it but some one from fender told me it can not be installed on this bass. I was really surprised.

So I contacted Audere preamps and told them what I wanted to do, which is basically to get may be a different preamp but I wanted to keep the passive option as I really like it and don't want to go all active only, but apparently they don't recommend having both passive and active with their preamps, also I just wanna have only a 3 band eq, like the stock one on the Elite and its knobs and pickguard holes, and most importantly keep the passive thing with its tone control.

So my question ... Is it possible to make the Pure Vintage '63, or any other vintage like pu, work with the Elite stock pre amp?. There is gotta be some work around it, right? The guys form Audere said something about installing coupling caps but they didn't really explained and they seem very busy, which I understand, so this is why I am asking here. I have played passive instruments all my life until now.

I hope this can be done. Thanks for any info

PS: Please don't hijack with other questions or situations.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. allboutbass

allboutbass

Oct 2, 2019
    Op here again.
    I just confirmed what I was thinking: The fender guy just gave me wrong info about it. I never really thought it made any sense at all.

A fellow member did installed the 63 on the Elite without any problems.

3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I was gonna say, most any pickup should install just fine in the Elite. You will have to splice the little connectors from the OEM pups on to your replacement pups in order for them to connect to the OEM preamp, but that’s pretty much the only detail. And if you are replacing the piano as well, you don’t need to worry about that, either.

4. allboutbass

allboutbass

Oct 2, 2019
    What do you mean by piano?

5. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Crap, that should be “preamp”, not “piano”. Missed that when I posted. And too late to edit now. Sorry.

6. allboutbass

allboutbass

Oct 2, 2019
    Ah ok ... I got confused. Thx

7. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I can see how. Totally my fault...

A couple of years ago, I had an Elite Jazz and even though I liked it very much, I did quite a bit of tweaking on it before I finally sold it and went all Mike Lull. First, I added copper foil shielding to within an inch of its life. Then I changed out the pups, but it still didn’t get me where I wanted to be So I changed the preamp to a Nord preamp and I really liked that combination. In fact, so much so that I put that Nord pup/preamp in my Lulls.

When I removed the OEM preamp, I kept the little terminals from the pups and the battery connections with the preamp in case it found another home, which it did.

8. allboutbass

allboutbass

Oct 2, 2019
    May be some day if I find a preamp that let me keep the passive option as well.

I really love my Elite P. I really do. I am gonna try the PV63 just for the heck of it.

9. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    The Nord preamps offer a passive feature in their preamps. Pull the volume knob up for completely passive operation.

I really did like the Elites and I thought they were some of the best basses Fended ever made.

10. allboutbass

allboutbass

Oct 2, 2019
    I love the PV63 on the American Elite, it just has character. I also changed the stock pick guard with an aluminum one ... and black knobs.
    precision PV63.jpg

11. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Man, I must admit, my comments in this thread weren’t my finest examples of spelling ability...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    You can swap the pickups, but the stock pickups plug into stock preamp with a connector rather than being soldered on. You can just cut the wire leaving enough wire from the connector to allow you to splice the leads to the connector leads.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021