1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Fender: Deluxe or no Deluxe???????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mpinonj, Jul 20, 2007.

1. mpinonj

mpinonj

Jul 18, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    I am getting my Second Jazz bass (my first being a standard MIM) and I was wondering if you guys could help. I am getting an American Jazz bass but I am not sure if I should go deluxe or not. Any help would be great. What are the differences (other than one being active and the other being passive)

What are the benifits of having a passive bass? Would active be the way to go since you get more flexibility?

What about an American P-bass?

Any help would be great.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Deluxe all the way!! I have had both...but my Deluxe Jazz is by far the best jazz bass I have ever owned. The 18v really gives my bass big balls as it were! In your face lows with plenty of punch and just the right amount of highend for slap. I get more comments on the tone of my bass then any of my other basses.

Also the fretwork on the Deluxe is more detailed, and I do not think standard American Fenders have the rolled fingerboard edges.

3. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    they do but i still think my MIA Deluxe is an incredible bass

4. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I think the Am Dlx Jazz and the Precision are wonderful basses. I have a precision and want to get a jazz. the bass boost really brings out the lows. The fretboards are spectacular .. very well made for the price.

5. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    My favorite Fender is the Victor Bailey, I know it cost a little more but if you have the opportunity to try the Jazz Dlx and Victor Baily side by side I think you'll hear a difference.

6. victor bailey has different woods used...but that is probably the best jazz i've ever played, plus its a different looking jazz, if you can, try out the bailey, its worth the 14-1500 you'll pay for it

7. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Both the Deluxe and standard basses are the same; the difference is the Preamp.
    There are a few ways to go in my opinion - find a deal on an American Deluxe model, modify an American standard by adding a pre of your choice (Aguilar 3 band!!), or pick up a Made in Mexico Deluxe.
    I have 34 basses and the one that I'm excited about at the moment is 1999 my MIM Deluxe 5. These have American pickups and the Suhr designed preamp installed. With your eyes closed (feel and tone) it goes toe to toe with the American stuff. This is true for the 4 string MIM Deluxe as well.
    Please do yourself a favor before discounting the MIM stuff; take the on line Fender factory tour to understand the build process and quality control of the Made in Mexico basses; Like me, I think you'll be impressed.

Thanks,

KT

8. +1 on the MIM Deluxe. I have several American basses (PV Cirrus, Fender P and EBMM Stingray). The MIM Jazz has a great tone and fills a nice niche in my sound arsenal. You will like active PUPs. My MIM J Deluxe has one 9v running the pre. Personally, I like active basses...as all of mine are.

9. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I just picked up a Jazz Deluxe V MIA at GC. Real nice :) The action needs to be tweaked a bit, and I also noticed that the neck pocket has a gap on both the G & B side, but it seems to be pretty stable. The thing I really like about it, that's it's real light weight, maybe about 8 lbs. I'll give a week to see if I'll hang on to it. That's the great thing about GC's 30 Day guarantee.

10. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If you are talking about the American or Standard vs. the American Deluxe, there is more difference than just the preamp. The American Deluxe models also have a slightly smaller body, sculpted neck joint, abalone inlay, chrome logo, and (I believe) more frets. Personally, I would check out an American Deluxe P-Bass. I've had three--wish I still had one!

11. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    My point is, no matter if a guy decides to get an "American" made or a "Made in Mexico" issue Deluxe, the feel and tone are comparable. I spent the last 2 months figuring that one out.
    Get what you want of course, but if cost is an issue the MIM is the way to go based on what is fundementaly important - tone and feel. Finish, inlays, chrome, etc. are not being factored into what I'm shareing here.

Yea, the P-Deluxe is a monster too!!!!!

Thanks,

KT

12. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    i played a MIA deluxe P-bass a few weeks ago and loved it might be my next bass

13. mpinonj

mpinonj

Jul 18, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    I am going to spend sometime are Guitar Center today and figure out which on to by. I do want to go with the American Model, I have never had one and I think, in my oppinion, that evey "real" bass player should have one. Thanks for the great info.

14. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    check out the MIA deluxe Jazz bro superb playability, construction and the tone is sweet; then again i really liked the MIA Deluxe P-bass too either way you can't gon wrong

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I do believe they put more attention and at least better woods (lighter, nicer) in the Deluxe basses.

If you are going to choose, I would say get a used Deluxe, ALL THE WAY!

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My number one is a passive American Series Jazz, and I generally prefer passive basses. But I think the American Deluxe Jazz is one of Fender's best, and one of the best active J-type basses period, so if you like active you should go that route. The necks feel fantastic, and have 22 frets over the Am. Ser.'s 20. Plus, the SCN pickups and 18v pre sound great. I've heard others play them on stage, and have always been impressed by how well they capture the vintage J vibe despite the active electronics. I think the finish and construction are a step up from the American Series too, and they're sometimes extremely light. I had an American Deluxe Precision with an ash body that was only 7.5 lbs.

17. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    the 3 deluxe's I have had felt like the match between preamp and noiseless pickups was horrible. Each time I changed the pickups and that helped tremndously. I think the desing of the noiseless pickups chokes the Fender tone.

18. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Two questions:

1. Am I to understand that the MIM Active has only 1 9v while the MIA has 18v? If so, how could you not hear a difference tonally?

2. How do the MIA active Js made today compare to the ones they were making in the late 90's-early 00's? I had tried one back then and found that the preamp wasn't particularly warm and/or couldn't capture the passive tone well.