American Fender Jazz Basses- Passive or Active?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jul 14, 2001.

1. which do you guys prefer, and why?

i'm beginning to change my mind
  2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    What do you prefer?
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I thin klots of ppl here would say they will look for a Passive sounding Fender. Because thats what Fenders are popular for :D

4. both active and passive have their place...
  5. I must say that I appreciate the Fender passive sound. I have a Fender Jazz American 5string and I really love the tone. I find most active circuits to be more hassle, and I dont like the tone over a simple passive circuit.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have an MIA Deluxe jazz 5. I prefer the active. If you set the EQ "flat" (at all the detented positions) you get pretty much the single coil tone that you expect from from a passive jazz. With a little more presence in the low mid.

But in my experience, the B string was lost on the passive jazz basses. With active I can get a much more upfront B string.

If I was buying a 4 string jazz, I would buy passive, it is everything you'd ever want in a jazz bass. For a fiver, the active is a must.

7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i like them both, but both my jazz bass's are active, i prefer the active's because i like the little bit of extra punch and warmth it offers.
  8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il

I play four-string. The comments above regarding fivers make sense, though. But it really depends on what kind of music you play and what kind of sound you're after. For my approach, neither a five-string nor active pickups make sense, but obviously both passive and active PUs have their place.
  9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    I meant Chasarms comments re: five string. Sorry.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I prefer active mainly b/c well... my stinray is active and I love its sound.... but I would get a bass that was passive if i like the sound... shoot. i will take anybass if I like the sound
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's been my experience, too.
  12. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I like having both in my tonal palette which is why I have an Aguilar DB 924. It's an outboard thatI can use with any of my basses...or not!
  13. Passive. For some reason active Fenders have never grabbed me.