1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Fender Jazz - Fullerton made - what difference does it make?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogwillhunt80, Mar 7, 2013.

1. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
  2. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    that looks like an MIM body though....

3. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
    It does say "Made in USA". So it's how they make the body, or no?

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    They were are made there until late 1984. The only Fullerton designation that makes a difference is with regard to 82-84 Fender reissues that were made in the old Fullerton factory on jigs and pin routers. Other than that it's just sellers trying to confuse the issue and capitalize on the the Fullerton reissue attraction. By way of example, my 74 Precision and 76 Jazz are also Fullerton made Fenders... Don't be fooled!

Btw, an American made 1997 Fender was made in the Corona factory, so that seller is really misinformed!

5. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I believe Fender used the 1 piece pickguard from 1983-85. I also think they moved production from Fullerton to Corona several years ago. Sorry can't site any sources. It looks like that is an older body mated with a newer neck?

6. Seen that ad being posted for weeks. Seller is either misinformed or a scammer. The neck may be MIA but the body certainly isn't. I thought about sending the seller a msg but you know.... Buyer beware and what not. I know better than to buy it.

7. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks, everyone

8. There's no truss rod slot on the body. Something's wrong here.
    Also, that 1 piece pickguard makes it look like it has a schlong...

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    My '83 Jazz body was identical to that...one piece guard and "strat" knobs. Looks like a '97 neck on an earlier body...whether it's an MIA body is tough to tell without closer inspection.

10. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    shouldn't it still be a string through bridge if it's MIA?
    hard to tell by the pics, but it looks like a MIM hardtail bridge.

EDIT:

it is a hard tail.

$%28KGrHqJHJEcFEik0+f%295BRNJ0tLsV!~~48_20.

i can't imagine the intonation is right either...

11. I remember there WAS a late '90s 'traditional series' Jazz that used the one piece guard/control plate thing too. There were Squiers with it too. Don't bank on it being a Fullerton body

12. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    They did not have string through bridges/bodies back then.

That could be a Fullerton made body, here's a cherry burst one from 1983:

[​IMG]

This one looks like an aged white, from 1983 as well according to the site
    [​IMG]

Who knows if there's been a neck swap, pickup swap. PM John Kallas, he knows everything about jazz basses. (johnk_10)

13. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I beg to differ.
    I owned a 1998 MIA that was a string through.

14. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I'm talking about the Fullerton made jazz basses, stopped making them there in 1984.

15. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i thought you were referring to the whole bass that is listed as a 1997. my mistake.

besides, both fullerton basses you pictured have a 3 hole mounting pattern for the birdge, the one in the OP is a 5 hole
    and the bottom one has a 3 ply pickguard when the OP has 1 ply.

i think its a MIM body.

16. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    The difference in the bodies in your post and the OPs post is that the 83-83 Jazz basses had 3 screw bridges and greenish numbers in the knobs and white pickup covers. At least the 4 or 5 83s Ive owned had these features. heres a link to the last 83 I sold http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/usa-1983-fender-jass-bass-american-standard-clean-891863/

17. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    That was a nice looking bass Bone.

Brian at the Lowend has a 1983 Jazz for sale right now with clear pictures. It's easy to see. So gord was right about the body, I was hoping the guy snagged an American body but nothing I saw matches his.

Here's a Fender MIM Squier series, not sure of the year but this is the closest body I've seen to what the OP has
    IMG_1098.

Here's a 1993 Mexican made Squier:

[​IMG]

18. I have a Fullerton 83. Faded white now. Put custom one piece tortoise shell pick guard on it. Among the best looking best sounding and best playing of my Basses and I’ve got a few including a smoking hot 77 Ric. They are way under rated.