Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

american fender jazz saddles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jan 16, 2005.

1. i really am getting frustrated with the american fenders saddles, the ones with the three small grooves instead of one big groove, i think they do this so you can somewhat customize your string width, but i always like the mexican fenders width (they have saddles with just one groove) i am also haveing a hard time fing good strings to use beacuse you have to have taperwound strings that are long enough to go through the body and over the saddles. would it be a good idea just to replace the saddles on ym bass, i would use my old saddles from my mexican fender and them swap them.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Use fender taperwounds. If you have to have tapers, then that is the way to go. They sound quite good. I use DR's and I have no problem with them moving around. I can set them and forget about it.

3. yea that might be the best idea, well what do you like better fender tapers or dr long necks (i belive they are called)

4. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I replaced the taper-wounds on my Amer. P bass with regular strings, and they are held nicely in the saddles. They have always stayed put, too. They don't sliip or slide out of place. The strings are not heavy gauge, either.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What kind of problems are you having with the saddle? I'm using Labella DTF heavy guage (strung thru) and have no problems with slipping or string spacing...maybe you just need a higher tension string?

6. i never said anything about sliping, but i think i am just going to get dr long necks or fender 8250s, the question is which sounds better?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Only way to find out is to try them. I think DR's sound great. Got some bite, but then so do the fenders. They both last a while.