American Fender P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Oct 7, 2005.

1. HI all. I have just recently become a huge fender fan due to receicing a marcus miller for my birthday. I have the opportunity to purchase a Fender P bass for about $280. It is a private seller trying to get rid of stock. It is an American made and dates to the 80s. I wanted to know if this is a good investment and how different this is going to be from my Fender jazz. I am new to the Fender scene but any and all info will really be appreciated. PS. is the P bass good for finger tapping and false harmonics? Thank to all in advance
  2. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    First of all, try it, if its worth having. Second, if you would like a more thumpy, deep bass sound, a p bass would be great. However it lacks tonal versatality. If you wana know more about the p bass, do a search. Theres heaps!
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It seems quite a bit low for an 80's P Bass. I would be tempted to buy it sight unseen, quite honestly. As long as it works and is stock, I'm sure you can get way more than that if you ever decide to sell it, even if it's beaten up.

As for tapping and FH's, there's better basses for it than a P bass. However, nothing on earth sounds like one, and I totally would recommend that everyone have one in their collection. The difference is that it has only one pickup and is a bit on the bassy side compared to a Jazz Bass. You can sort of get an idea what it will sound like by turning off the bridge pickup of your Marcus and adding a smidge of bass response to your amp.

if you decide not to buy it, please tell the seller to get in touch with me ;)
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm with Jimmy, I'd just about buy that sight unseen.
  5. For that kind of money, it's hard to go wrong.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, that's pretty damn cheap for an american P, even an 80's one. Even if you decide you don't like it, I bet you could turn it around with a couple hundred bucks profit.
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    My thought exactly!

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Sounds like a great deal to me. IMO you can't go wrong with a P-Bass.