1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Fender Precision Special (aka California) pricing question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rappa29, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Local GC has a used one.

Could use some cleaning up (bridge has some rust, frets have some greenish tint) but otherwise played and sounded good. has some buckle rash but no serious dings or scratches.

Everything looks stock on it. Maple fretboard, black w\white pearloid pg.

I don't recall the year. The serial looks just like OrenHudson posted below. So I guess it's a '97.

They're asking $699. Is that a good price? What should I offer if I go in there with cash in hand?

Here it is:

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104565909#anchorDescription

BTW - No worries if any of you grab this from under me. I have a MIM version that does me fine. I just stumbled on this yesterday while shopping for a keyboard.

I was actually going to post this in the Hot Deals forum but wasn't sure if it was a hot deal...

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    :D I bought one when they first were released in 1997 in candy apple red with maple fretboard and gold anodized pickguard. Quite stunning. The first year they were made in the U.S.A. and then were switched to, I think Mexico. My serial # is AMXN721230. Not sure about the price since I've have had my for a while and got it on sale back when MARS Music was in business and ran pretty good deals from time to time. I think maybe $300-$400, but not sure. In any event, it is one of my favorite players of many basses that I own. Side note. I added the bridge and pickup chrome covers for even more bling. Happy hunting.

3. My MIM is white with the gold anodized pg. So I suppose the pg was replaced on this one with the pearloid.

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I have the Squier version of that bass, P-Bass Special. Even IT is a pretty good bass. I'm sure the real Fender must be great. $699 for one with buckle rash and other wear and tear though? I'd try to talk them down on price a bit, were it me.

6. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL