Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Fender Precision Vs Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SeedyBloke, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Hey All. I am looking to buy a fender Precision but I am not sure if I should go for the standard , ie Mexican made, or the American P and shell out some more money.

Are there any differences between the two other than where they were built eg. pickups?

Sorry if this thread has been done before! :rolleyes:

Thanks

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    for me, i've tried out MIMs and MIAs in stores before... and most of the MIMs were pretty shady. Of course, they're inevitably set-up very poorly, and that's a huge part of it, but it just makes me wonder about the quality/durability of the neck, etc.
    of course there are other people who love their MIMs just as much as any MIA.
    but me, i'd probably go MIA (or MIJ)

and yes, this topic has been done to death!
    ;)

3. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    well heres my expierence..i bought a mia pbass for my first bass 12 years ago..after many other higher end basses its now the only one i own..never had a problem and have been very mean to it on some drunken nite gigs..over all a work horse that never goes out of tune..main diff are that mia have better wood for the body and string through bodies
    plus they just feel better ..play them all then make your decision...good luck

4. The 2001 and newer MIM are pretty nice. My P is a late 2001 MIM, and it is overall a very nice bass. The ****ty part is the workmanship isn't up to par with the MIA models. Screw holes drilled non-perpendicular, a stripped screw hole + toothpick for the pick guard, etc. Mine is the sunburst finish, and the finish itself is very nice and durable. It does not look anywhere near as tasty as the MIA sunburst finish though.

Mine has the Fender dead spot on the G string, 5th fret. It's kinda irritating, but livable. The MIM split-P pickup appears to have more percussive punch than either the Duncan Hot P, or the current DiMarzio DP146 I have installed. But, I like the DP146 a whole lot better for its huge bottom and tone. I also have it wired with a series/parallel switch that is very useful.

Is the MIA worth 3x the price? I doubt it. If I could score a MIA P for a cheap price, I wouldn't hesitate a moment. A p-bass will always be part of my harem.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Get second-hand Japanese version. They have the quality of US basses but half the price.

Actually, I think used ones might be even cheaper than new Mexicans.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Biggest differences are quality.

If my memory is correct the body wood of the MIM is poplar the mia is alder or ash. Huge tonal differences from the mim and mia IMO/IME.

Its also IMHO better for you to save a bit more and go for the MIA. Better tone and playability in it than the mim too IMO

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    What was your opinion again? :confused: :D

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    MIA's are more selective with parts. They use certain woods, shape the neck a little more precisely. They are using alder bodies now on the MIM's, and alder or ash on the MIA's. The neck edges are rolled on the MIA's, and the fret jobs are a bit more detailed. You can upgrade the p/u's in an MIM, and they're pretty good. Maybe comparable to an MIA. So find an MIM that sounds good unplugged, because if it sounds like crap unplugged, no amount of amping will make it sound good. Then just replace it with some bart's or sumthin, and you got a great bass for cheap. Or, just look for one of the discontinued Hot Rodded American P-basses. You might be able to get one for not much more than a MIM, and they are the most awesome P I've played..

9. I just dropped by Guitar Center today. I played nearly every Fender there, and I only liked one jazz bass (MIM). I'm pretty sure it was the poor setups there, but they just felt very toyish compared to my Essex and even my Squier :eek:!

But overall, I did like most of the MIM basses over the MIA. It just seemed like the MIA's were way bad over there. And most of the active Fender's were a slightly better, but not much.

I would definitely just go with an Essex or MIM Fender, then upgrade.

10. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    upgrade upgrade upgrade..why not save for another month and get the real bass.fender mia p basses arent going anywhwere..theyll be around alot longer than any of us

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Lasy I checked, all the basses that were mentioned were real basses. :)

12. :D

What do you guys think of MIM Deluxe basses? I have an eye on the P-Bass Deluxe Special - hybrid J/P bass.

13. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Like the string-through option and higher quality of the MIA P.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    my opinion is for him to buy a hondo, pure quality.....hehehe