1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Fender tuner problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Axtman, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I noticed the other day that the tuner on my E string of my MIA P bass wiggles! The problem is that the 2 little posts that hold the tuner in have enlarged. What can I do to repair this?

BTW, I exaggerated the problem in the picture so you could easily see it. Pbass tuner2 (1).JPG Pbass tuner2 (2).JPG

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

My feeling here is that until you want to or decide to spend your time fixing it and or money on a professional fill and re-drill, a simple wood shim dropped into the upper right side of the hole will keep you going. Likely you would never have to do more.

My solution if it was my bass:
    -use a bamboo chopstick (bamboo is extremely hard wood) the kind that is tapered at the tip.
    -I would take a lengthwise slice of the tip that just fills the enlarged area, rounded on one side flat where you have sliced it.
    -test fit and sand the flat side as needed.
    -cut to length,
    -A VERY TINY drop of CA (applied with a toothpick or a pin etc.) just to hold it in place as you put the tuner back on.
    -The CA may not be necessary but if you use a VERY TINY DROP it will still be easy to remove the shim at a later date.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    The tension of the string should keep it from "wiggling", although your tuner may be very slightly misaligned. It shouldn't be a problem tuning-wise though. Maybe a bit of tape wrapped around the two little posts would do the trick if it really bothers you. Or you could go the shim route that tbird suggested if you are feeling a bit more luthier-ish.

4. If you tighten the nut on the front, it should not wiggle at all.

5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I am going to try the toothpick trick. Thanks.

I have tightened the nut on the front. The problem is that the tension on the string overcomes any sliding friction that the nut has. So as I play the tuner creeps and flattens the note. If I tug on the shafts of the other tuning keys I notice that they wiggle slightly as well, though some more than others.