Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Fender Vs Korean Skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Mar 5, 2006.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok guys, title says it all. We're talking P-basses here, Fender American Precision vs Lakland Bob Glaub Skyline. For the money, reliability, and looks, which one would you buy and why?

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Lakland because of the oval bridge... I'm curious to see how this one plays out, the question has intrigued me for a while as well.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    You know, i am thinking about the same question with a jazz bass and a JO.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I can't really make a fair argument, I've only played beaten-to-heck MIA Fenders in Guitar Denter.

Even so, I can't see how an MIA Fender can beat my Skyline BG's feel, sound, finish, or weight.

In my experience there's no contest.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Heres how I look at it, With Fender you get the graphite reinforced neck (nice to have but not extremely necessary) HSC, more finish options, and a ton of aftermarket drop ins in case you want to change something down the road. On the downside, theres the questionable QC and virtually no customer service (based on what I hear). Now when you look at the Lakland, you only have a single trussrod (which all of my basses have anyway) No HSC or gig bag unless you pay for it (which would bring price up to what the Fender costs), few color choices, and not many aftermarked parts. But You're probably getting a more reliable bass with better QC. What to do guys, What to do?

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Which bass do you guys think has a higher resale value. Also, does either bass have room to appreciate down the road?

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I've played fenders for 25+ years!!
    I now play a skyline glaub,
    for me it's a welcome change,
    i'll never go back!

i'm hooked :p

8. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lakland does it right. Great Quality control.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The Lakland Glaub was the best sounding and playing P-bass I've tried.

That being said, most of the MIA Fenders I've tried have been at music stores like GC -- Who knows what they've been through?

Still, the Glaub I played was at a music store and looked like it had seen some serious playing time, as well, and it played like a dream.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Fralins. But the Fender name carries a lot of weight, too.

10. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Fender every time!

11. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Heh, I picked up my American Deluxe Jazz on Saturday, after a nice set-up at 30th St. Guitars. I plugged it in to check it out. After seeing that they again had done a good job, I tried out some of the other basses they had hanging on the wall. Mostly 70's P's and J's.

Then I see this Candy Apple Red Lakland Jazz, Korea made, so I give it a try.

A very nice bass, but not the same as my Fenders. Then again all my Fenders are properly set up and taken care of. The Lakland was a very nice bass, and better than a lot of stuff out there. Maybe the same level as a top of the line MIJ Fender.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would buy the American Fender if I were looking for a P-bass. Money:resale is going to be much better on a USA Fender, reliability: it doesn't get much better than USA Fender from anybody, looks: Fender P, 'nuff said.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender. By a landslide.

The questionable reputation Fender has for QC and/or customer service is a completly undeserved falsehood in my experience. I'm not sure where it came from.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They're both great basses. They are subtly different, so it may just come down to your preference. Resale is good on Fenders, though every now and again I see some in the Classifieds that just don't get sold for some reason. Still, on a bass that's roughly $900-1,000 you'll see them go for $700 and up.

Construction is about the same, playability is great on both. I'm not sure how much I would trust the testimonies of a test drive from Guitar Center, however - those instruments tend to be beat to heck. My MIA P-Bass plays as well as any of the Glaub Skylines I've had the opportunity to play.

15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah I feel as though Fender gets a bad rep sometimes purely based on people playing the beat to hell ones at GC or Sam Ash. Well I think by the end of the week I will have hopefully made up my mind and I'll order one or the other.

16. The three best Fender P Basses Ive owned, were these ( a 78 with stripped finish, a MIA Standard, and a MIA 57 reissue):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I owned this Skline Bob Glaub:

[​IMG]

Bottom line: The Lakland SMOKED these three Fenders and they were the best 3 P Basses Ive owned.

Also, Id like to make a price point. The Skyline Glaubs always sell for $700-$800 on the bass forums. When was the last time you saw a MIA P get that much on any bass forum?

Lakland took a classic, and made it better.

17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Owned?

When I was looking for a Fender Precision, the Skyline Bob Glaub I tried was head and shoulders above the thirty (or thereabouts) Fenders I tested.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That comment is very short-sighted. An old Skyland will never command the price that an old Fenders will.

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I totally agree. I think Fender's quality control for U.S. made instruments is excellent, and I own four: Jazz, Precision, and two Strats. I've tested many others, and while there's certainly a range, it's pretty narrow. I've never encountered a dog.

But I think I know where the bad rap comes from, and it's been alluded to by others in this thread: the awful setups and other horrors to be found at GC and Sam Ash. The U.S. instruments are more expensive, so don't sell as quickly, and are thus subjected to more shopwear and climate changes than other Fenders. I've seen P-basses with strings a half inch off the neck. Unfortunately the poor condition can mask the excellent underlying quality.

As for the original question, I think it's a pretty close call. I've only bought Fenders, but the Lakland has one ace in the hole: the Fralin pickup. They're awesome, and I replaced the pickups in my Am. Ser. Jazz with Fralins. Otherwise I prefer the Fender for the graphite rods, hardshell case, and more comfortable (to me) 1.625" nut width. The Lakland now comes in only 1.75", but apparently a Duck Dunn sig is coming up with 1.5". I'll be watching for that.