1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Idiot musical....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sam Hain, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Has anyone here seen it?

My 7 year old son is a huge fan of Green Day and live shows in general. Hes quite mature for 7. I dont sensor much of his music. He listens to Rage,Green day,Clutch and Linkin Park...so hes well aware of bad words and handles them well.

If you have seen American Idiot do you think its ok for a 7 year old boy to see?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I haven't seen it, but I've heard it was pretty good. I tried to get tickets last year when Billy Joe was in it on Broadway, but they were way too expensive.

3. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Can't help on the Green Day thing, but Clutch is great for youngsters (and oldsters). I found that having an encyclopedia handy helps for some of the more obscure references in his lyrics. My kids and I used to constantly trace back some of those references to piece together some puzzles. Quite a great band.
    Good job, Dad!

4. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Thanks man...I really appreciate that!

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  6. "any 7 year old who listens to clutch is an order of magnitude cooler than any other 7 year old on the planet" - TIME magazine, 2011

:D

7. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    LOL....agreed!

8. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I saw it. I didn't especially like it, but I'm not a huge Green Day fan either.

You should know, though: There's a scene of simulated sex relatively early on in the show, while someone sings a song. It's an extremely awkward scene.

9. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Yeah thats what I was concerned about. Not so much the language but sex scenes or drug scenes. Im gonna have to think about this. Thanks for the heads up!

10. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    There isn't any nudity involved, if that helps. They're under sheets.

I think there were some definite drug references, but I don't recall (I spent much of the show trying to block it out, difficult at the high volume) any specific ones.