1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Idol Bass used last night

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WalWarrior, Apr 23, 2009.

1. hey guys - My girl loves this show, I'm not a huge fan although Ricky Minor has a damn good gig going on, not talking about his bass, talking about the bassist supporting last years runner up. The band was on stage and the bassist had a cool looking instrument. Anyone see that and know what kind of bass he was using? Looked awesome. Neat pickup configuration / controls. They didn't get closeup enuff for me to see what it was. Just curious - Thanks -

2. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
  3. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    WalWarrior

C'mon it's OK to say that you watch Idol ;) We're not going to hold it against you.

That Ray the bassist was using looked sweet. I don't even play fivers but would like to own that bass.

Keep Low :bassist:

4. Ha ha! I'd be a bigger fan if it was called "Bass Idol" -

I can see it now - I'd get my shot and while I think I'm shredding and Finger tapping ala Sheehan....Simon Would be standing up acting a fool as Paula does.....all in the end Randy Jackson would tear me to shreds taking over the role from Simon.

I can hear him now..." That was Rubbish, Absolute Rubbish Dog!" "You're onstage thrashing that bass like an Epileptic in a strobe light Factory".

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!

Do I watch Idol?

( Ok Ok - I'm raising my hand like John Candy in stripes after being asked by Bill Murray - " Who cried when Ol' Yeller Died?" )

5. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Are we sure that was the model? I thought i spotted 3 knobs with switches above them...wouldn't that make it a G&L? I didn't pay very close attention to the headstock though, i was pointing out to my wife that he was playing an Aguilar DB series cab so that she would understand that I wasn't the only one who spent that kind of money.

Edit: nope, checked the link to the picture and now admit to not paying very close attention to the bass. Good call guys.

6. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Now that IS a show I would watch.

My only comment to that would be... "excuse me, but didn't you once play with Journey?" While all the time LMAO. But seriously Randy Jackson does have an extensive background in both sides of the music business and probably has more "pro" knowledge than the rest of the judges combined.

OK (raising my hand too). It's entertainment and you know behind the scenes it HAS to be highly scripted. I do feel that the last few seasons the winners are picked more for their "market" value than their ability to sing.

You have to give the contestants their props no matter how good or bad they are. It takes guts to go up there on worldwide TV every week and commit what Frank Zappa used to say was "social suicide".

Keep Low and see you on "Bass Idol" :bassist:

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

*Gets on knees and clasps hands*

Dear Odin,

Thank you for giving me the means and wherewithal to be
    able to buy 2 TV's and put one in my wife's bedroom. Please
    accept my prayer that my old Sony TV in the family room stays
    in working order as long as possible.

Thank you for letting me avoid American Idol: Season of the
    Pop Diva Troglodytes this year. I promise to mow the lawn
    and take out the garbage regularly in return.

I am not asking for a bolt of lightning or anything, but don't
    you think a small electric shock would improve Simon Cowell's
    attitude and hair?

Oh my lord, my eyes are tricking me, as whenever I see an
    image of Paula Abdul, I can only think of a female Michael
    Jackson.

Oh Father, can you get football season going early? I am
    dying here.

Hear my prayer,

Your son,
    Thor

PS, C'mon over for a crock of Mead and some putrefied
    Shark when you got a minute. The Hakarl is mellowing
    nicely this year.

8. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  9. Ha ha - Now that's Funny! You guys kill me! This site rocks!