1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Idol Ricky Minor bass ID?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tapp, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Does anyone know what bass Ricky was playing during the Chris Allen "Works hard for the Money" tune? It had an F-hole, Gretsch type knobs and body, but a 4-in-line headstock.

T

2. I believe it was a Fender Coronado.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I thought that too, but it didn't look like the word Fender on the headstock. That thing sounded GOOD though. (Didn't hurt that it was in Ricky's hands)

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    <off-topic>

It pains me to say this but I actually caught that tune (my wife watches it every week, I'm not really a fan of the show)... does anyone else think Ricky just overplayed on that song? It's like... c'mon guy, I like your playing and know you can bust it out, but no need to try so hard to draw attention away from the singer.

On a positive note, I thought that was a very well-done arrangement.

</off-topic>

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought it was a Framus of some sort. Probably a later 60's model.

6. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    He got a little busy here and there, but I have say it was still appropriately tasty.

7. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, I was loving the look and sound of that bass also.

Pretty sure it wasn't the Fender. The headstock was longer. Bridge looks different too, but kinda hard to see with the lighting.

BTW, anyone see what he was using the rest of the show? The slap tone on it was nice. Thinking that red Sadowsky he uses a lot, but lord knows we've seen a million basses now on this show for him, lol.

8. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Yeah, I don't think it was Fender, the headstock had a fatter/rounder look to it. It did sound good.

9. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Coult it have been one of these?

[​IMG]

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nah... It was a hollow (or semi-hollow) big thing with (I think) a black headstock.

11. curtis r

curtis r

Aug 8, 2007
    austin tx.
    touring bassist
    i was wondering the same thing that bass and his playing was awesome great sound i thought right at the end i saw the headstock and looked to say yamaha but i don't know if they make a bass like that

12. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    You are thinking of the wrong song. The Stringray was for David Archulleta's performance, and was not Ricky Minor on bass. (And that bass is almost right, but the one of the show as a Double Humbucker.)

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I used to own a Framus Strato-Bass and the headstock was identical. I'm telling you it's a Framus.

I jsut saw part of the video online, and I'm even more convinced it's a Framus now. The tuners were small, like guitar tuners, and Framus used guitar tuners on a lot of their basses.

14. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Checked http://www.framus-vintage.de

Can't find one that looks like the right model with the "long fender" headstock. Although they do have some that don't have pictures that could be winners.

15. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm with Jimmy on this one. Looked like a Framus to me as well. Fender Coronado was a little wider through the hips and headstock was definitely more Framus than Fender.

16. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I don't know, it doesn't look like any of the Framus offerings on that website. I went to Ricky's website and found this pic. It looks like a Gretsch with a funky headstock?? According to the pic properties this photo was taken in '06 but I've never noticed it before.

Attached Files:

17. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    It's wierd this thread started. That is the only performance on that show that I've seen and I was wondering what kind of bass that was too. And I also thought that he overplayed. I guess bass minds think alike.

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not really a better pic, but certainly a better angle, from his myspace page:

l_8cc4802ac21451667181f692fa542844.

Doesn't look like the framus headstocks on that website, isn't bulbous enough, but they may have other designs not shown on there.

Edit: and here's a bigger version of that other picture

l_4d9b742db03ea3a34635c15771936456.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh, I know...I'll bet it's one of those Fritz Bros basses that Randy Jackson likes. I've only seen that big Kay copy, but they have a custom shop.

20. BarryS

BarryS

Oct 17, 2004
    That is a Gretsch. It's the single pickup version of the Peter Tork Monkee bass.