American Idol ... thoughts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Ok, to be a good singer, you need three things:

Good voice Good control Confidence

On a Scale of 1 to 10, respectively:

Reuben? 10, 10, 10

Clay? 10, 10, 10

Trenyce? (sp?) 10, 9, 9

I am quite seriously impressed with these three. They sing with some of the best in the industry, IMO.

BTW - cool to see shots of Randy Jackson with his bass & colorful getup when he was touring with Journey!!!:D :D
  2. Does anyone really care to hear catterwallering where all the females try to sound like Celine Dion or Arthea Franklin and all the guys are shooting for Michael Bolton.

Really! Is anyone actually going to buy this stuff?
  3. (Donne, this is your subconscious, you want to watch the show, you want to like it, Simon is your hero....)
  4. Rueben is my favorite to win.

And FWIW, I wish I was like Simon...
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

I agree with Donne..
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, a worthy musical "idol" isn't picked by a board of never-was's/never-gonnabe's/or a BMG-whore with a British accent.

Your musical merit earns it for you, not some cheap "reality" show on TV. Crappy as they may have been in terms of pure musical merit, Elvis, the Sex Pistols. The Stooges, would never have even considered this sham.
  7. Ok, so give the show the "royal flush" if you will.

But I'm tellin ya right now, the three I mentioned above are quite seriously talented singers, regardless of what vehicle (a cheesy show) was used for us to hear them.

8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ruben really sang his arse off last night!! man i hope he wins
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    the best part of that show IMO is the beginning auditions, with the people who represent the dying animal side of the singing spectrum. Great for a laugh.
  10. rickbass

I love that description, Killdar!!!

All the guys sound like eunuchs with acid reflux to me. Just "product" that fits a narrowly defined marketing niche for people hitting puberty as they shop for CD's.

All the girls sound like "girls" to me....only they sing just 8 notes instead of 16 like Mariah Carey where just one solid note would say so much more. Whatever happened to women who sing like "women."???? Give me Shemekia Copeland anyday!!!! Her voice would crush these anemic twigs!!!!
  11. "......And the whole world shall be ruled by one singer, one brand of power amp, and one bass guitar!!!!!!"

Signed, God

(;) )
  12. wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    rickbass- has beens? never was? you rae on a bass forum and you don't know that randy jackson iis a very accomplished bass player. probably better than anyone who posts on this board. he has recorded on thousands of albums ranging from bruce springstein, bob dylan, whitney houston, n'sync, mariah carey, just to name a few. and paula abdul was a big pop artist. are you not old enough to know this? and simon is a rich music mogul. they are all very ewll accomplished people from different aspects of the musical game. get your facts straight.
  13. rickbass

They are straight. Jackson is the only one I can respect as a musician. He'll whomp me off the bass any day. But how hot is his career these days????

Abdul = ex-cheerleader
    Simon = record label whore
  14. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    My wife and I have gotten addicted to this show. Rueben rocks. He does NOT sound like the typical countertenor-on-speed-with-a-sinus-infection that normally passes for a "male singer". I'd actually buy one of his albums. And he fits the "idol" mold so badly that you have to like him.

They are certainly not going for the best musician on this show. You don't elect musicianship by a referendum. On the other hand, the judges usually do get it right when it comes to confidence and stage presence. There's a lot to learn on this show about performing that applies to all sorts of musical situations.
  15. One of my friends told me I look like one of the guys on American Idol (Clay, I think...) because of the gap in my teeth.... :meh:

I never watch the show, and I don't plan too, it's basically like every single MTV show rolled into one.
  16. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    So whatever happenned to the "promising careers" of the best of the first season's contestants?

If they ever had such a show for bass players, I'd sell all of my gear and find another passion.
  17. The one girl who won has some album coming out soon, and there's a movie. And then one of the finalists is on that show Boston Public. She looks really good.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  19. wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    how can you justify a person's musical ability to judge is not good enough by saying simon is a record label whore and paula was a cheerleader. you have not once looked at their musical accolades that place them in the higher echelon of the industry. with that said, your facts are in fact not straight. and to say randy jackson's career isn't so hot right now??!! are you playing bass on all of mariah's albums and her live performances? and that is just ONE of his gigs. you'll never do anything remotely close to that. you, i and everyone on here knows that.