Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Idol

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 18, 2005.

1. got im unimpressed with is this year...its just started over here and they all suck.....they all try to do the whole mariah carey "Yeaaahh yeahhhhh yeeeaahhh yeahhhhhhhhhhh" thing and it sounds horrible.......and every idol contestant should be banned from singing anything by Stevie Wonder or Marvin gaye from now on.....and simon cowell should be the 1 and only judge :D

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Having Paula Abdul doing critique would be insulting. Have you heard her sing? Her crap is super processed/doubled vocal slop!

3. Do you remember the lawsuit from one of her backup singers from a few years ago? She claimed her "backup" vocals were the primary vocals on a bunch of songs- including Paula's timeless mega classic 'Opposites Attract.'

4. What I find even more ludicrous is Paula even qualifying as a judge...left to her own devices, she couldn't compose a rational thought to save her skin... she always comes second, after Randy, and all she does is reiterate whatever he says, because she just is not a lucid being...

"You're a star...we love you" is her fallback comment. She has no talent and even less backbone, and even less of a brain.

Pathetic.

5. actually.....i havent heard her sing...from the top of my head at least....i dunno if you get aussie idol over there...but mark holden is pretty much the same, he just did or is going to (i cant remember) sue delta goodrem because he wrote half of her songs and she didnt give him any credit.....but i tell ya what..id love to be judge on the next series of idol...i tell ya what, thered be some decent singers then :p ...none of this continual vibrato ****

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I know Randy Jackson's history in the music business and feel that he knows what is what. What does/did Simon do?

7. i think he works for a record company or something....he's most likely a bored rich b%(#^#T in any case to come up with a show like that......

now at least we have 2 decent judges, Marcia Hines and Dicko...

it might of been my imagination, but is Paula now doing mark holdens "touchdown" thingy which is just plain embarrasing?

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

From memory, it seems that her songs are all in the same key as her speaking voice.

9. gee...thats helpful if ya dont wanna make an effort.......or have any talent

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Though the talent curve is much higher, the judges on Nashville Star this season are very poor as well.

The cool thing about Nashville Star is that the contestants/performers have to write and perform their own original songs as part of the competition.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    --that would be better.

12. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Did anyone else see the chick with all the crazy makeup and the blue hair who sang "Phantom of the Opera"? She had the most amazing voice, and she was mighty fine. She should have won!

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Here is my take:

1. Paula Abdul is NOT there to judge vocal ability. She is a dancer/choreographer and has insight into physical performance. When she makes her comments, think in terms of stage presence/presentation. I would bet that she, or her production company, provides stage/choreography services to the winners when they go on the road. Plus, she looks good. Well, better than Kenny Loggins anyway!

2. Randy Jackson has some real insight into musical ability. From what I know, he also benefits from the whole thing by organizing the stage bands that backup the winners when they go on tour.

3. Simon is pure management/promotion. He knows nothing of good vocal qualities but does know what will sell on the road. It is my understanding that the winners are immediately put under contract with him. He's a jerk because that is the role that was scripted for him. He made his

Remember, this is "reality TV," which means that this is a highly scxripted and orchestrated performance. Notice that the "rock" guys are staying in the mix this season? It makes sense. The formula is girl, boy, girl. . . . A rock presence brings the viewers back that got tired of all the R&B stuff of past seasons.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Paula Abdul can do anything in Key??

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd partake in consensual perversions with the blond chick that's left
    (The cute one, not the one that looks like an NFL lineman, complete with no neck)

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That'd be Carrie Underwood. She's from the tiny little town of Checotah, Oklahoma. Amazingly, I was there last summer, on my way to the tiny little town of Eufala. (My father-in-law's sister owns the liquor store there. Drop in and say hi to Coleta and her husband Chris.) I stopped at a roadside flea market in Checotah just to see if there might've been an old J-bass or something laying around. There wasn't, but they had plenty of milk bottles and power line insulators.

17. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    From what I have seen, the Anwar guy, ( the guy with dreads ) seems to be a quite good singer. + He is a music teacher I think.

18. god no....IMO...i watched it the other night and he sang "Whats Going On", and it sucked ass, im mean, so did the band, the band was pretty sloppy...and his singing just didnt suit it, that and he did the whole miriah carey constant vibrato, octave jumping yeahs

i just went.......no.....and put on the spongebob squarepants movie

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The chick you admire is Carrie. The chick you disparage is Jessica.

20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Anwar is one of my three favorites. He takes tired old chestnuts of songs and gives them new excitement. One thing I think he needs to do is sing something besides those achingly beautiful ballads. I'd like to hear him sing a reggae or calypso song as he has the dreads to do it credibly.

Maybe once the theme nights force him to break out from ballads, he will show that he can be versatile enough to win. Still, I'm not sure he will win. I think the younger viewers, the ones who power vote hundreds of times each, will not vote for him.

Another of my faves, Bo Bise, has a lot of outspoken supporters, but the all-important young power voters say he is "too old." Imagine that-- at 29 he is too old!

If I were a betting person, I'd put my money on Nadia. But she could well end up as this year's Tamara Grey. AI always delivers plenty of surprises, especially toward the end.