AMERICAN IDOL'S :Randy Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hands5, Apr 5, 2003.

1. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I would like to know if anyone is familiar with some of Randy Jackson outstanding bass playing earlier in his illustrious career.I'm familiar with the later stuff that he has done with Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston.However,the stuff he did with Jean Luc Ponty (Mystical Adventures),and some of the earlier Narada Michael Walden material in the early to mid 80's(Confidence,and the album after that had the hit song 'Take it Off)had some real good playing on it.Also on the Jean Luc Ponty album that I mention Randy does some real nice soloing on a couple of songs along with a great drummer at that time by the name of Rayford Griffith.:bassist:
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he used to play with Billy Cobham as well.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Randy is an excellent bassist.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw Randy with Billy Cobham a long time ago.....he could throw down:bassist:
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Is anyone else saddened by the fact that he's now known as "American Idol's" Randy Jackson? :bawl:
  6. I would really like to know about his time with Journey. I had no idea he played with them. Did he play or produce on any albums? When and how long was he with them?
  7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    He was a hired gun for tour and he played on Radioland......after Steve 'Powertrip' Perry decided to fire the rhythm section:confused:
  8. Has anyone seen "American Idiot" with Earth, Wind & Fire's Verdine White as guest judge? I really had to laugh about the way he looked (like a black woman with a moustache) :D

9. Hahaha you are so right! He has looked like that for a long time. But he is solid as a rock on bass. Anyone ever play his Ibanez Sig bass? I really want one, it was so smooth and pretty.
  10. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Randy Jackson has played bass on a number of albums over years. He has also produced a number.
    He had an endorsement by Peavey at one point and even had his own signature Bass.
    I have an instructional video by him called "Mastering the Groove". It is a few years old and very informative.

I found this websit that lists a few of the albums he had played on over the years:

He is also listed as Randy "The Emperor" Jackson on a number of albums he has played on.
  11. Yes, Verdine White's a very good player! Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to try his sig bass yet.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They were showing repeats of the programme on
    UK digital TV last night and I thought I ought to have a look as there had been so much discussion round here...;)

So there were two things that really struck me - first was what you said above - how strange Verdine White looked - couldn't help it, although I love his bassplaying - weird! :meh:

Second thing was how bad - as in awful, the singers/contestants were! So - out of tune, poor tone and control, inappropriate phrasing etc etc.

What really suprised me was that - I saw the original, British version - "Pop Idol" - and what struck me then, was that by the time they got to the same stage -about 6 or 7 left - how good they were in this respect.

So I remember them singing with a live Jazz big band and the singing was excellent - so how come with a much larger population, they couldn't find better singers than in Britain? :confused:

Or at least up to the same standard?
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I think the actual title of the album was "Raised on Radio" I could be wrong.

Thats the only work I actually know of hearing him on. I had no clue he played with all the other people mentioned.
  14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Your right!......doh!....It is 'Raised On Radio'........I knew there was a radio in there somewhere:)
  15. I knew he looked familiar. I've seen his pictures on bass magazines and on the cover of a video. What's his story? Is he a producer now? Did he start out as a studio musician?
  16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Randy worked himself from road dog......all the way to the A&R guy with Sony Music.
  17. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I remember Randy for not only being a solid bass player, but for also dressing so,so colorfully.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    From, here's a (partial) list of artists RJ played with:

Patti Austin
    George Benson
    Blue Oyster Cult (!!!)
    Michael Bolton
    Bon Jovi (!!!)
    Mariah Carey
    Tracy Chapman
    Clarence Clemons
    Billy Cobham
    Tom Coster
    Celine Dion
    Bob Dylan (!!!)
    Aretha Franklin
    Kenny G
    Hall and Oates
    Herbie Hancock
    Sam Kinison (???)
    Gladys Knight
    Kenny Loggins
    Eddie Money
    Todd Rundgren
    Bruce Springsteen (!!!)
    Stryper :eek:
  19. That's very much what my girlfriend told me - unfortunately I haven't seen the UK version of the show, though. Too bad.
  20. Is it true that Randy Jackson likes Bugs Bunny which is the reason for always quoting him by saying "Whassup, Doc?" (hahaha, nah - just being stupid)