American Jazz Bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Ive done a lot of research on this bass and i think i want to get it for my next one, it has tons of features (ex. S-1 Switching, A graphite reinforced neck) and i just want to know what you think of this bass (p.s. this is going to be my first 5 string)
  2. The 4 strings are generally good. I've not played a 5er, but many people around here have. The general consensus is, play it and make sure that you like it. Some 5 string Jazzes apaprently have a floppy B string, while others claim that theirs is very tight. As with many Fenders, some may play nicely and some may just feel bad. So play as many as you can and decide for sure which one you want.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I recently purchased a '96 MIA Active V and over the past month it has become my number one player. I went around a bit on strings before settling on D'Addario XL's with a .145", ( :eek: ), B string. I find it plenty tight, and may drop gauges with my next set... If the lighter string feels floppy, I can always go back...

I like the wide spacing and the neck fits me perfectly. The active EQ is great if used sparingly. Mine has the old Jazz humbuckers with the 1/4" slug polepieces, and I've no complaints with them...

The only thing that I am not digging is the trans-blue finish... it's very well done, but just not my thing... Maybe a LP Blue refin in the future, before the summer gigs start...

As said, if you can try a few first, all the better. I'm pretty confident that I can setup most any bass to my liking, so buying sight unseen, as with this one, doesn't hold too much fear for me... There are a lot of great fives out there, and I certainly would count the Fender among the contenders...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah. It depends on what strings are on it.
  5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I have a standard and a deluxe, both with sadowsky electronics. I love them both.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have one, a passive standard model, it's my number one fretted, and it is just wonderful. It plays great, looks classic, and sounds incredible plugged into anything. :bassist: I swear I couldplug it into a friggin shoe and it would sound perfect!

The "B" string on mine is great. It blends in real nice with the others. Extremely even response up and down and and across the fretboard. I use Fender Super Bass Nickels on it and they're wonderful. It's the main reason I'm selling my green custom.
  7. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I am also interested in getting a Fender American V for beatting up on gigs. I dont really want to hurt My precious Zon's....

Where would one go about getting sadowsky preamp/electronics built in ?
  8. I've got a '97 MIA Jazz V that is my main bass and has been since i got it in '97. I've gone through about 15 other basses since i got it and that's the only one left! (besides my new 6)... No floppyness on the B for me and I've recorded punk, reggae, ska, bluegrass, jamband stuff, hip hop, metal, just about all styles of music with it. Every engineer i've worked with says the same thing "bring that fender, only the fender" .... haven't got to try the new ones with the S-1 switching, but i'd really like to try it!

Philbiker... i've plugged mine into a shoe!! well close, it was a Marshall guitar head and Marshall 2x12. We played a Cultural Center just outside of Tijuana, Mexico for a US/Mexico Modern Dance event in Conjunction with UCSD. My old SWR rig blew the minute we plugged in and had to use the guitarists rig while they both played through the other guitarists Mesa guitar rig.. The Jazz V sounded excellent through that Marshall rig.. maybe the ghost of John Entwistle is getting to me... :D
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

So bascially a Marshall guitar amp = a shoe. That works for me. :D

Mine's a '97 also, love those small Gohoh tuners, huh? It's an amazing bass. Mine has a nice "B" and I love the feel of the chunky neck. One of the best bass purchases I've ever made, that and my Thunderchief are two amazing instruments.
    The real question is why would one go about getting sadowsky preamp/electronics built in. The passive Fender Jazz is one of the best sounding basses I've ever experienced. Any sound engineer will tell you that they sound amazing plugged into anything. One time I played a gig and a bass player friend of my brother came up and marvelled at how fantastic it sounded. This is someone who owns a $$$$ Smith, he said he wished he could get a sound half as good out of his Smith.