Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Jazz Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave Morgan, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Dave Morgan

Dave Morgan

Jul 1, 2000
    What pickups are OEM in the American Standard Jazz? I have a MIM Jazz I'd like to upgrade and I realy like the sound of my American pickups.

2. I think you can buy the stock pickups from Fender, and they should be the American model. However, how old is your MIM? All models besides the most recent ones, if I remember correctly, have 2 same-size pickups. Without some work the American bridge pickup wouldn't fit, as it's a little bigger. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

3. Dave Morgan

Dave Morgan

Jul 1, 2000
    I have a circa 1998 with the same size pickups, I'm aware I may have to do a little routing. I know you can buy vintage J bass pickups and the CS 60's. I'd just like to know what stock ones are. ???Vintages J's perhaps??

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THat is correct. the neck pickup will be too small and the bridge too large.

5. I think it's the "Original Jazz pickup". The "vintage" one is the noiseless model, according to the Fender site. if you wanna be sure, you can email Fender and ask. They actually answer questions of that nature.

6. Dave Morgan

Dave Morgan

Jul 1, 2000
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. I love my MIA as is, just trying to get the MIM up to par

Dave