1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Jazz vs. American Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 22, 2006.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm sure it's been discussed but it's probably in the middle of a thread somewhere!

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a 5 string Jazz and want to know how the B's sound on the passive vs. the active models?? I already own a MIM Jazz 4 and a Marcus Miller sig. 4 but want to step up to an American model. Any opinions would be appreciated. pyrohr is the resident Fender guru and I hope he chimes in as well!

Thanks!

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FWIW the "B" on my Passive Jazz V is fantastic. I've only played deluxes in stores and active isn't my thing. Have you considered the Roscoe Beck five string?

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I have but I don't want to spend 'that' much and I want to keep the slimmer neck profile as opposed to the wider neck on the RB.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played my Jazz standard and a Beck V back-to-back and the neck profiles are almost the same. The Beck is slightly asymetrical, but remarkably similar to my USA Standard Jazz V.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I guess they are both about the same but I don't think the RB comes with a maple fretboard and that's one of my desires!