American Jazz with Natural Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rush1988, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta

I was wondering how common american fender jazz's with natural finish and maple fingerboards are. Should I buy one in that condition or sand down a different finish and then coat it?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    There was a thread (tried searching but no luck there) a few weeks about doing the same to a black Stingray. The general consensus was that the wood used on solid painted instruments could very well not be of the visually quality wanted for a natural/stained finish, and that you could be doing all that work to uncover a body of multiple pieces with uneven grain lines, filler, and the like.

I'd say take the time/money to find a natural to your liking. They don't seem to be uncommon, and the $100 upcharge is assuring you of a better visual experience than the risk of a refinish.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I have tried to find one. Only Fender Jazz that comes with this finish (currently) are the Marcus Miller, 75 reissue, and MIA Deluxe. For the money, I am just going to build one from either Warmoth or USACustomGuitars....that way I can pick what electronics to use.

Most Jazzes come in alder, not ash. It will be tough to find a good piece of ash. :D (sorry, couldn't resist)