1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Jazz with Natural Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rush1988, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    Hello

I was wondering how common american fender jazz's with natural finish and maple fingerboards are. Should I buy one in that condition or sand down a different finish and then coat it?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. There was a thread (tried searching but no luck there) a few weeks about doing the same to a black Stingray. The general consensus was that the wood used on solid painted instruments could very well not be of the visually quality wanted for a natural/stained finish, and that you could be doing all that work to uncover a body of multiple pieces with uneven grain lines, filler, and the like.

I'd say take the time/money to find a natural to your liking. They don't seem to be uncommon, and the $100 upcharge is assuring you of a better visual experience than the risk of a refinish.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I have tried to find one. Only Fender Jazz that comes with this finish (currently) are the Marcus Miller, 75 reissue, and MIA Deluxe. For the money, I am just going to build one from either Warmoth or USACustomGuitars....that way I can pick what electronics to use.

Most Jazzes come in alder, not ash. It will be tough to find a good piece of ash. :D (sorry, couldn't resist)