Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Music Supply vs Musician's Friend

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I usually buy stuff using Musician's Friend. Yesterday I purchased a digital recorder at AMS. I must tell ya'll how happy I am.

I was able to do their easy payment plan even though I have no credit. Debit card was good enough.

I paid no tax.

I needed to add something to my order after it was confirmed and when I called the entire transaction from dialing the number to having the other item added to my easy payment and getting a new balance took approximately 1 minute and 15 seconds with a really nice salesperson.

I got a confirmation email immediately and was able to check my order status.

Got a tracking number this morning.

Delivery was free and my package is scheduled to arrive today.

While I give Musician's Friend credit for always being curteous and doing their best to right their wrongs, I've never gotten service like above. They've left things out, not had things in stock and not notified me... (actually, that one might have been sam ash). I got the last thing I ordered without an owners manual and never got an owners manual. They sent me an online version they printed themselves - for the wrong unit. Blah, blah, blah... I've a handful of minor complaints.

This musician has a new friend. :) It's AMS.

P.S. I don't work for them.

2. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have been buying most of my stuff from AMS for the past four years now. I have always recieved the most curteous service from them, even when I had to return things. I average about $400 a month in payments to them, and have established credit with them so I can even do the 5 pay plans. A few years back, I had financial problems during a 5 pay, and they were very understanding, and worked with be on my remaining balance. Can't get better service than that.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I first bought equipment from them back in '93 (before this inter-web thingy...) I've only had to return one item from them (a DOA pedal) and it couldn't have been handled any better.

They don't seem to have the vast inventory MF has (who else does, I wonder), but they do have some stuff that MF doesn't stock. Plus I like the way they package items better than MF. MF usually packs stuff with crumpled paper as padding, which I suppose gets the job done, but AMS has used a couple layers of bubble wrap each time I've ordered from them.

I shop both places though (okay, I look at AMS first, shh), I just go for whoever has the thing I'm looking for in stock and at the lowest price (I know they price match, but I just want to click-and-order and be done with it. ;))

4. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    I bought my ESP Viper from AMS. Free shipping and the easy payments are just what I needed.

I like their 'close-out' pages too. I got a Sony 255W home theater system for $79.00. Total price. Un f*****g believable.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Aww man...I thought this was gonna be a steel cage match.

brad cook

6. The easy payment plan kicks butt!! The only thing that sucks is that AMS doesn't have the selection that MF has. For example AMS doesn't carry American standard basses only the Highway models. Which would rock if could snag one under the payment plan. Or GK amps for that matter.

7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I placed an order with AMS once, which through no fault of thier own, I had to cancel. They were very understanding and refunded my money quickly and without hassle.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

8. I think Guitar Center owns both companies. I think.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Order placed approximately 1PM yesterday - 3PM today I'm sitting with my toy in front of me. They must be located around the corner and I never noticed. :)

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    GC and MF are definitely together, but don't believe AMS is.

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Incorrect, sir... MF is owned by GC, but AMS is not.

P@

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have each store for it's own reason:

1) Music123.com is in state, ground shipping is here in a day and paypal
    2) Sweetwater.com is a little slower, free shipping and good recording stuff
    3) Musiciansfriend.com can usually pull off free shipping, no tax, great prices

But I always shop around, got my Vox T60 because shipping was the least at Elderly and they had one in stock!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All my experiences with AMS have been excellent, and I know of others who feel the same. You can beat their prices at Rik's Music and Northern Sound and Light, but only on the items that those stores carry (not as big a selection). My experiences with Rik's and NSL also have been excellent.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can't vouch for NSL, but Riks has been nothing but pleasant. Got my GK stack for $300 less than GC/MF would touch, free shipping AND no tax!

15. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I nabbed a new Hartke head from AMS for less than a used one on eBay (right place right moment kind of deal) late one night. They had it pulled and shipped the next day, and I received it within two days. Good deal, quick shipping, and no problems with the product!

16. Yeah i wasn't really sure, I stand corrected. :bag:

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's a problem I'm having with MF right now-I ordered a pedal in mid-February that was not listed as out of stock- I found out it was when I recieved the rest of my order in the mail-and since then, the delay date has been pushed back all the way to April, and MF never contacted me any of the times to let me know.

On the opposite side of that, I tried to order a Sansamp RBI from Sweetwater. Ten minutes after I placed my order, I got a phone call from one of their reps telling me that the RBI was out of stock, and that they'd cancel the order for me if I'd like if I could find one in stock somewhere. Music123 had a few, so they happily cancelled my order for me. THAT'S great customer service.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What does your wooden leg have to do with this?

brad cook

19. this:

[​IMG]

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For those of you who, like me, don't know what a DWB is, here's one.

[​IMG]