Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Musical low-price policy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Mar 9, 2004.

1. About three weeks ago I ordered a QSC amp and a pair of JBL monitors from American Musical Supply. I got the merchandise a few days later, so far so good. But today I get a Sam Ash catalog and -gasp- the exact same monitors were $100 cheaper (each) at Sam Ash. Well, American Musical advertises a 45 day lowest-cost guarantee, so I promptly called Customer Service. They politely took my info and said they would investigate and let me know tomorrow.

I've done a lot of business with AMS over the last ten years, and this is the first time I've needed their Customer Service. Let's hope they back up their advertisements; I expect them to credit me with the difference (hey we're talking $200 here). Good or bad, I will post my experience tomorrow after I get an answer.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

:bawl:

*breathes heavily, inserts oxygen into nose*

Lurking to see how it goes ...

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I looked for the lowest price on the net for some stands, found it, called AMS and asked them to match it. They told me they same thing ... "We'll get back to you within 24 hours." They did, and they gave me the price I found. All of my experiences with AMS have been very positive.

One of my business partners collects new guitars, and he orders three guitars of the same type, picks the one he likes, and sends the rest back. They know he's doing this, and they accommodate him cheerfully. Of course, you're probably going to get one of his rejects.

4. Well, I'm not too thrilled with AMS, but I finally got them to agree to credit me with the difference.

First, they never called me back. They claim they did, but I've got caller ID and voice mail and somebody was home the whole time. They never called back.

Then they said they wouldn't honor the price guarantee because they claimed the store they called was out of stock. In their fine print it says their policy doesn't apply to out-of-stock items. BUT while I still had AMS's customer service rep on the phone, my girlfriend grabbed my cell phone and called the local store--the same store I gave them the phone number for. Gee, guess what, they had some. We even got the salesman's name.

Miraculously, when I gave AMS this info, they decided they would credit my credit card with the $200 after all. Now let's see if they do so.

IMHO this shouldn't have taken such a hassle. I discussed this with their customer service rep for at least twenty minutes, and I must admit I was pretty darn polite, all things considered. Didn't cuss at the service rep once (though I think I scared my dog). I even explained that I had done thousands of dollars of business with them over the last ten years, that didn't seem to matter.