Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick Rice, Feb 12, 2002.

1. need opinions on Fender P bass , are the new American Series significantly better than the American Standard ? All I seem to hear about is the detailed fret work . Anyone who has owned both that feels the price increase is worth it?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The only difference between it and the Am. Standard is the rolled fingerboard edges and the supposedly better fret work.

Not much to say here. If you want a P Bass, than this is a pretty good one. A Fender P Bass is a good, solid, traditional bass.

3. Im kinda confused, are you asking about the American standard verse the MIM, or is there an American standard, and an American SERIES?

4. Yes , the American Standard series was replaced by the American Series. The word Standard is now only used for MIM. My question was in regard to the so called improvements and price increase and how owners of the new felt. guess I better go play one and decide for myself.

5. Corona made basses seem to be a bit better. I think the point is that US made Fender basses have been getting better and better since about '95. Having said that, if I saw an American series bass and an old American standard for sale, with the American Standard knocked down in price, I'd certainly try that one first.

6. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Andy is right. I got my American Standard right after the American series came out for like 550 bucks. I couldn't afford not to buy it.

7. Ok, help me out then. Im buying the American Standard P, sunburst/rosewood, from bassnw as soon as they open the store back up..monday or tuesday. I havent gotten a chance to play this bass yet, and wont until I own it. However, I have played the regular American P at guitar center in my hometown. Are these two guitars going to be significantly different?is the feel not going to be the same on both of them?
    thanks.

8. Well, there is always variation in massed produced gear. Personally, I would be very unwilling to buy a bass without playing it first unless it came from a high end luthier whose reputation I trusted. If you have a return option and don't mind the hassle, though, I'd possibly take the risk.