American Pickers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    I kind of got hooked on this show, for some strange reasons..But this got me thinking.. Have there been any great "music" picks people have come across, not necessarily thru Craiglist and the like, but more "Look what has been sitting in this old barn.." type..even if just happen to be passing by, or looking for something different??
    Of course, if an old Double Bass, you get the gold star ;-)

Regards to all

Winoman and s van order like this.
  2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    My first bass came from an antique/junk dealer friend of my father. He had this old German bass sitting in a corner. I paid $600 for it in 1968 or so, got it fixed up and used it until I sold it in 1994. It got me through HS, Julliard and years of professional playing, even after I also had a nicer bass. Kind of sorry I sold it, but I needed the money to move to California.

3. s van order

s van order

Oct 4, 2012
    Delaware
    1976, I was a HS junior in Baltimore pretty fresh off moving from cello to e-bass. I spied an old Kay in a closet in the school music room, no fingerboard, crusty gut strings. I asked the teacher and he said to take it home, he’d use the space. (Btw, the teacher would play his B3 w/Leslie for us in a big storage closet!) Over 20yrs it lay in my parents’ attic until I rediscovered it and found a bass luthier in Annapolis (Dave Mandsbridge) who restored it to great playability. I gigged with it and played in a local orchestra. I eventually sold it to the parents of a young up and comer.

Winoman, marcox and CryingBass like this.
  4. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Don’t get me started!

1948 000-28 Martin guitar - bought for $150 from a pawn shop in NYC in the late 1960’s; sold to a guitar student for $150!
    1920’s Martin Koa wood Hawaiian guitar - bought for $8 at the Maxwell St. market in Chicago in the late 1960’s; eventually sold to Matt Umanov for around $200.
    1960 Fender Jazz Bass - the first year of issue with concentric volume/tone knobs ( the “Jaco” bass); can’t remember exactly what I paid for it in the late 60’s, but no more than $200; eventually sold to We Buy Guitars in NYC for $800.
    Old Kay Bass (C-1 I think) - bought in W. Virginia in the middle 70’s for $100; sold for probably what I paid for it!
    1964 Fender Jazz Bass - swapped a Music Man Stingray for it with a student. I’m holding on to this one!

marcox likes this.
  5. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    "We Buy Guitars"- my favorite 48th st. NYC shop when I was kid! Where else could you go and try out 100+ vintage stratocasters and come home with your favorite hardtail 1956 for $550; 'played my first 1959 'burst there, but as kid I couldn't afford the $1800, so I bought a blonde dot neck 1960 es335 for $750! Many days I'd find a decent neck in one shop, go to the others and find a body, the bridge / electronics in another and eventually put together a mid '50s tele for maybe $200 out of pocket, put it back together in the backseat of the car, and at the end of the day sell it back to the first shop as a complete guitar or trade it for a different one. Glory days when old guitars were just...old guitars....

I've bought so many old guitars, basses, and mandolins from the backside of truckstops and pawnshops and questionable settings where I handed over a brown paper bag of cash that it would be difficult to pick the best story. Maybe a 1930 National tri cone guitar (style 3!) all green and corroded for $75.

Last year I bought a GK 410 cab here for $150 and two months later traded it to a guy on craigslist for a loaded 1964 P bass neck that I then mounted to a '64 body I bought for $400 ....

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    neilG, Fretless55, statsc and 2 others like this.
  6. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Yeah; growing up in The City my favorite thing to do was to stroll up that one block of 48th. St. between 6th, & 7th. window-shopping at Manny’s, Sam Ash, Rudy’s, and We Buy Guitars. Many happy hours spent drooling over instruments I couldn’t afford! I thought there was another old instrument shop a little west of We Buy Guitars, but I can’t remember the name.

james condino and Fretless55 like this.
  7. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Another pawnshop story: I walked into a pawnshop on 3rd. Ave. in NYC in the ‘70’s and after looking over the selection of cheap instruments asked the proprietor if he had anything else “in the back.” He brought out a small coffin-shaped guitar case, and inside was an 1850’s Martin New Yorker guitar in pristine condition (like the day it came out of the Martin factory). I asked how much it cost; he said, “It’s not for sale.”

Andy Mopley and james condino like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021