Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American pie

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nemo137, Dec 27, 2001.

1. I heard from a friend that the song "American Pie" is 8 minutes of comentary on the music scene in the 60's/70's. is this true? i heard refernces to the Byrds, Beatles and (i think) the stones. Anyone know anything more about this or have any other references?

nemo.

2. I thought the song was a commentary about the loss of Buddie Holly, Richie Valens, et.al....
    plane crash.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    et al would = "The Big Bopper". ;)

I guess that tragic plane crash was "the day the music died".

4. My favourite version is Wierd Al Yankovic's "The Saga Begins" (from "Running with Scissors") - in fact I think I like it better than the original... more verses, more entertaining, and has a much happier ending... :>

- Wil

5. ... i drove my chevy to the levy the the levy was dry...
    i like that song, my dad plays it on guitar
    :D :D :D

6. The Jester is Bob Dylan, the KIng is Elvis, and the Queen is Little Richard (oddly enough), any other questions about the song e-mail me, i have the list of what all the references in the whole song are about

7. "My, my, this here Anakin guy,
    May be Vader someday later, now he's just a small fry"
    :D

8. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    "while The Sgts Played A Marching Tune"- reference to The Beatles (Sgt.Peppers).

"8 Miles High and...." reference to 8 Miles High by The Byrds

"did you write the book of love and do you...." reference to the 50s tune "Who Wrote The Book Of Love".

9. "jack flash sat on a candlestick"-rolling stones

10. Verse One
    A Long Long Time ago (1959),
    But bebruary made me shiver (month buddy holly died)
    With every paper i'd deliver (only other job Don mclean held besides singer/songwriter was a paperboy)
    Well i can't remember if i cried, when i read about his widowed bride (buddy holly's wife),
    The day the music died (the crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P "Big Bopper" Richardson
    Chorus
    By miss American Pie (i was rumored the plane that crashed was named American Pie)
    MOre coming soon, too tired to type