American Professional P vs Vintera 50s P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbourne, Apr 6, 2020.

1. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Here I am with another P question!

So I'm on the verge of ordering a P bass and I've narrowed it down to either an American Pro P or a Vintera 50s P. It will serve as my main bass and I hope to have it for a lifetime, so I'm willing to spend the extra (about 500-600 dollars where I live) if it's worth the difference.

I'd give a slight preference to the smaller nut width of the Am Pro, but I have played a chunky neck like on the Vintera before and I adjusted to it just fine, so I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker.

I have a thing for the look and sound of vintage P basses (hence the Vintera), however, would it be worth spending the extra to get all the features the Am Pro has (lightweight tuning machines, graphite rods, hi-mass bridge etc)?

Thanks!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. Only you can say which you prefer, and then only if you test play the basses before buying. My opinion is buy the pro if you plan on keeping it forever as then you will be less tempted to upgrade to a “better” one later. Another P I’d suggest considering since you like vintage is the American original ’50s.

3. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Unfortunately I can't try the basses where I am, but I've looked up a lot of videos and reviews of each and both sound great to me. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one, but I'm leaning towards the Pro for the same reason you state (that I'll be less tempted to upgrade later). I guess I'm just trying to convince myself I don't need to spend the extra haha. But yeah, I don't want to end up selling anything down the line when I'm longing for something "better" :D

DJ Bebop and imabuddha like this.
  4. SirMjac28 and bassbourne like this.
  5. bassbourne likes this.
  6. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Ah, yes I saw those too. But I wasn't sure if the difference in price between that and the Vintera would be worth it? Considering it doesn't come with any of the upgrades the Am Pro does (as far as I can tell). Also they're a little pricier here than some of the Am Pros (around 200-300 dollars more).

imabuddha likes this.
  7. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    imabuddha likes this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    No Better , but more to Suitable.

bassbourne and SirMjac28 like this.
  9. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    For me, when I tried the Vintera it was the string spacing that went along with the bigger nut width that I didn't like. The neck felt good and played fine, but the strings felt too far apart compared to the Amer. Standard Precision I already had.

bassbourne likes this.
  10. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    It's a shame that you can't try both before making your decision. Several years ago, I think I played 12 or 13 different Precisions before I finally bought one.

That being said, mine is an MIM '50s Classic Precision – the model which subsequently evolved into the Vintera. I love the chunkier neck and wider nut. I see no reason why this bass won't last me a lifetime. It checks off all of the P boxes for me – no graphite thingies, no high-mass yada-yada, no "Corona, California" on the headstock.

Best wishes with whichever you choose.

11. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    If you can afford the price difference, go with the Pro.

pcake, bassbourne and 707GK like this.
  12. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    Luckily you are comparing a really nice bass to another really nice bass and you can’t go wrong with either. They are both fine instruments. The Pros definitely have a feel of quality, especially in regards to the necks.

Both options are great choices but the fit, finish & build quality of the pros that I’ve tried really are a bit better than some of their other offerings, including the Vintera.

In regards to tone, both will sound like P basses but the Vintera is more vintage voiced compared to the Pro being more modern. IME the Vintera have that woody, P Bass tone and the Pro is just a bit more tight and modern sounding. Hard to explain. Both will work perfectly in most band settings, though.

Tubehed, imabuddha, iiipopes and 2 others like this.
  13. Vanheusen77

Vanheusen77

Nov 9, 2016
    Buy the one that looks the coolest!

14. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    St Charles Il
    Lot of good advice here. I own the vintera and have played the performer series. Personally I prefer the Vintera for the neck profile and the tone. I'm not much into 4 string PJ configs. Like mentioned previously, the performer is a bit more modern sounding but that wasn't the selling point for me.

The look and feel of the neck just felt way more high quality TO ME on the vintera. Vintage looking tint, 1.75 nut width, decent thickness front to back. The maple of the performers is just too white looking to me for some reason.

As said by others. Both are great choices, it's really a matter of preference. I'd go based on desired neck profile and look. I think they have the same value despite the price difference.

imabuddha and bassbourne like this.
  15. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Thanks for the response and info. Although I'm actually considering either the Vintera or the American Professional, not the Performer. I considered the Performer PJ too, but I'm not keen on the both-pick-ups-on sound a PJ produces and prefer a pure P or J. I agree the necks do look a little pale on the Performer.

imabuddha likes this.
  16. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    The lightest

17. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    St Charles Il

Wow lol my bad. In that case you have to keep in mind that part of that cost factors in a hard case that run 200-300 dollars so if thats important to you, keep that in mind. I stand by what I said in terms of maple appearance on the Pro as well. I'm a sucker for aged looking maple. In my personal experience with the american standard line from a few years back they are GENERALLY better than their mexican counterparts. However, I would take an excellent mexican example over an average american example.

I think the most enticing feature is the upgraded rods for next stability. I will however attest to the fact that my Vintera neck is incredibly stable and hasn't changed at all since I set it back in December. I feel like the higher mass in the neck accounts for some of this but I'm no expert. The Professional has a 1.625 width vs the 1.75 width of the professional. Not sure if the 63 neck contour is thicker or thinner but my guess is thinner.

imabuddha, bassbourne and SirMjac28 like this.
  18. I'd go with the AmPro or AO and be done with it. One and done.

19. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I have the Vintera, it’s a great bass and no reason it shouldn’t last forever. I also have a 2012 Select Precision, while it is technically superior to the Vintera, I prefer the Vintera.