American Psycho

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So I just finished reading the book by Brett Easton Ellis and enjoyed it although some parts made me feel sick. I actually had to stop reading it at one point while I was eating breakfast at a cafe.

Have you read it? What do you think? Is Patrick Bateman just imagining all the violence or is it real?

I have seen the movie a couple of times and, in my view, the movie doesn't do it justice. You really don't get a feel for the character in the movie or for the level of violence in the book.

Thoughts? Should it have been banned?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Excellent book, very dark, very morbid and sick..

I don´t think he was imagining the violence, he´s an ultra sociopath(sp?).

I was a bit disappointed but not surprised when I saw the movie.
    They obviously had to tone the movie down alot!
    IIRC they didn´t clearly show in the movie how disturbed he was... Many many chapters in the book were about for example just one album or different kinds of clothes etc.
    Those chapters gave you an insight into a very disturbed mind.

And no, the book shouldn´t be banned! :)
  3. I haven't read the book, but I loved the movie.
    I thought it was all real.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think the book was well overrated both in its writing and in its intent.

I also have no desire to read such pointless violence, even though I know that was part of the drill.
  5. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Allways see the movie first .
  6. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    "Sorbet, Jean?"

"Why thank you Patrick, I'd love some."

Great movie. I hear the book, haven't had the chance to read it, is great. You have to give it up to Christian Bale, great actor. I think he does a fine job.
  7. I haven't read the book. I like Bret Easton Ellis, although he usually depresses me, and I liked the movie. But I heard that the book is more graphic, so I haven't had the stomach for it yet. I was surprised when I heard that some people thought the violence was imagined. I interpreted it as being very real.

I don't think any books should be banned.

(Fun side note: One of the character's in Bret Easton Ellis' book The Rules of Attraction is the little brother of Patrick Bateman).
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you haven't read it how do you know if its overrated?
  9. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    American Psycho the movie is teh shiznit-o-ban-snip-snap-sack.

For true.

Christian Bale continues to impress me.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Now that's a great question, Mark.

I did read it.

That's how I know.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can understand Mark's confusion... I read you previous comments. It reads as if you haven't read the book.
  12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ironic when you consider the substance of the comment :D
  13. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I have to return some video tapes.
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Haven't read the book. Hated the movie. Maybe I'd like the movie more if I read the book and tried again.
  15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The movie is a very abridged version of the book and the ending and characters are quite different as is the detail and characterisation of Bateman. Overall I would say skip the movie and read the book as I don't think the movie touches the depth of the book (insofar as it examines Bateman).

Anyway, i've got to go...reservations at Dorsia.
  16. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    of course it shouldn't have been banned!! there are more important things to fritter away your first amendment rights on than an overlong, overdone one-joke satire... squander them on something worthwhile for goodness sake!

the whole point of blurring the question of 'is it real/is it imagined?' is that it actually doesn't matter either way... the vagrants he kills are missed by no-one and the identikit yuppies he kills are so indistinguishable from one another that no-one knows who each other is anyway

and I thought the long excruciating passages describing his Whitney Houston and Genesis CD's were far harder to stomach than the gory bits :)
  17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium