American Series Hot Rodded P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agyeman, Jun 17, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Anyone tried this, have any comments about it?

I already have a p/j base - an Ibanez GSR200, and like the sound of a p pickup and j pickup blended together.

Appaerenty, the blend is better in the hot-rod due to the way the pickups are wired. Anyone notice this?

I can't go out a try one as i am a lefty :(.
  2. mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    I remember I tried one out at a store several months ago. I don't recall being too impressed with it, but at that time I was looking for more of a Jazz tone, which it certainly can't reproduce 100%. Now I've changed styles a bit and I'm looking for more of a p bass tone...and what do you know, they don't have any of them at my local music store now! If I remember right, it had a slimmer neck than a standard P does. Sorry I know this post isn't of much help, but I'd be just as interested to hear about it as you.
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I know what you mean about the tone thing. I was gonna get a jazz bass, but it doesn't seem to have the growl a p-bass does.
  4. THe growl of a p-bass? I think you mean the growl of a jazz. Anyway, it has an A neck (jazz neck) and is probably most suitable for a person looking for a more p-bass tone, who may slap a little bit or want a bit more ummph behind it. A player looking for a more jazz tone may find it a bit lacking in the traditional jazz sound.
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Actually I think the American Hotrods have B necks (1.625" nut) according to Fender.
  6. I knew I would get that wrong! Well, its still better (for most people) then the C necks.
  7. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    To me, a p bass has more "balls" than a jazz bass. I have only played a MIM Jazz bass in the flesh. A MIA or re-issue '62 would proberly change my mind if I got the chance to play one.
  8. Don't think there are many differences but I've got the previous model the Hot-Rod P-Bass.

As far as I'm concerned its a lovely instrument.

Never owned a Fender before this and I find I'm addicted to the P Sound so I never really use the J.

Use this bass almost all the time
  9. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I have last year's model and love it. I am not a natural P-bass fan as I played a Rick for many years. This is a really fine passive bass capable of several nice tones and it feels good.

I got mine for about seven bills, but feel it can compete with basses costing three times as much.

Some folks may find it a tad bit heavy. I am of the ilk who would rather play a bass that’s built like a Shick brit house than one that is so like it feels like it might break in your hands.

10. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I think it all depends if the machine that built that particular hotrod did a good job. I always have a different opinion every time I try a fender bass. Last time I tried the hotrod, I loved it. Sounded just like my first bass a 72' p/j but the neck was much thinner. I also love the trans org/red finsh.