1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Series Hot Rodded P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agyeman, Jun 17, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Anyone tried this, have any comments about it?

[​IMG]

I already have a p/j base - an Ibanez GSR200, and like the sound of a p pickup and j pickup blended together.

Appaerenty, the blend is better in the hot-rod due to the way the pickups are wired. Anyone notice this?

I can't go out a try one as i am a lefty :(.

2. mentalretard27

mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    I remember I tried one out at a store several months ago. I don't recall being too impressed with it, but at that time I was looking for more of a Jazz tone, which it certainly can't reproduce 100%. Now I've changed styles a bit and I'm looking for more of a p bass tone...and what do you know, they don't have any of them at my local music store now! If I remember right, it had a slimmer neck than a standard P does. Sorry I know this post isn't of much help, but I'd be just as interested to hear about it as you.

3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I know what you mean about the tone thing. I was gonna get a jazz bass, but it doesn't seem to have the growl a p-bass does.

4. THe growl of a p-bass? I think you mean the growl of a jazz. Anyway, it has an A neck (jazz neck) and is probably most suitable for a person looking for a more p-bass tone, who may slap a little bit or want a bit more ummph behind it. A player looking for a more jazz tone may find it a bit lacking in the traditional jazz sound.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Actually I think the American Hotrods have B necks (1.625" nut) according to Fender.

6. I knew I would get that wrong! Well, its still better (for most people) then the C necks.

7. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    To me, a p bass has more "balls" than a jazz bass. I have only played a MIM Jazz bass in the flesh. A MIA or re-issue '62 would proberly change my mind if I got the chance to play one.

8. Don't think there are many differences but I've got the previous model the Hot-Rod P-Bass.

As far as I'm concerned its a lovely instrument.

Never owned a Fender before this and I find I'm addicted to the P Sound so I never really use the J.

Use this bass almost all the time

9. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I have last year's model and love it. I am not a natural P-bass fan as I played a Rick for many years. This is a really fine passive bass capable of several nice tones and it feels good.

I got mine for about seven bills, but feel it can compete with basses costing three times as much.

Some folks may find it a tad bit heavy. I am of the ilk who would rather play a bass that’s built like a Shick brit house than one that is so like it feels like it might break in your hands.

jc

10. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I think it all depends if the machine that built that particular hotrod did a good job. I always have a different opinion every time I try a fender bass. Last time I tried the hotrod, I loved it. Sounded just like my first bass a 72' p/j but the neck was much thinner. I also love the trans org/red finsh.