Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

american snackage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CDuff, Dec 4, 2002.

1. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Hello,
    I ,being a non-American, find that some of the TV I watch is from America and therefore choc-a-bloc with little american phrases I dont understand....snack items being pretty high up on the list. So, could one of you american peoples please explain the following in terms of basic ingredients, consistency, tastiness, size and oh...lets say... popularity:

1. Twinky
    2. Milk 'dud'
    3. Oreo (sp?)
    4. Corn dog (I realise this is some form of food <potentially, meat> on a stick, but there my corn dog pool of knowledge dries up)

eh, that's about all I can think of right now. Yeah, so get started on those and I'll let you know if I come up with any more.

butch manly hugs all round,
    Rex Kramer (a.k.a. Duffzilla)

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Twinky - An indestructable mass produced creme filled yellow cake type pastry.

Milkdud - This is a small chewey chocolate/caramel candy.

Oreo - The undisputed king of sandwich cookies. The basic Oreo is a chocolate sandwich cookie with white creme in the middle.

Corn Dog - You're right about it being on a stick. A corn dog is what it's name implies. It is a hot dog on a stick that is surrounded by corn bread.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Milk Duds! An awesome movie going treat. If you get them cold, they'll yank your fillings out though!

Do you remember Hostess 'Snowballs?"

A chap I knew would eat a couple of packages of those with a liter of DIET Pepsi.

Yeeeoow!

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I never got into the whole snowball thing. Too much coconut for my taste.

Now ding-dong's, that's where it was at!!

5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on each pic

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    These three things were mostly left out so I'll do my best.

All four are pretty popular. I'd guess that the Oreo is probably the most consumed of the 4. The other 3 are a toss-up as far as popularity goes IMO. Some are more popular in certain settings than others. Many people buy milk duds at the movie theater. A lot more people buy corn dogs at the ball park or the amusement park. Oreos are typically an anytime treat as are twinkies.

size -
    oreo - round and about an inch and a half in diameter I'd say. About the size of any normal sandwich cookie. Maybe a bit less than half and inch thick. They also have "Double Stuff" oreos that have twice the cream. Those are thicker of course.

Milk Duds - these are about the size of a macadamia nut and a bunch of them come in a box. (soft caramel coated in chocolate)

twinkies - maybe a bit less than 4 inches long and about an inch and a half wide and thick. Golden colored and they come two to three in a package

corn dogs - vary in length but usually about 5 to 6 inches and about 2 inches in diameter.

tastiness - well that's purely relative, eh? I like em all. I like taste of corn dogs (with mustard) but don't eat them much as you never know whether the meat is composed of cow hips or pig lips. Milk duds are awesome but I don't eat 'em much because I have a lot of fillings in my teeth and I'm scared they'll yank 'em out. Oreos are best dipped in milk.

Why I just spent all this time talking about junk food is anyone's guess.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's the least appetizing looking corn dog that I've ever seen.

brad cook

8. c'mon...it's impossible for a corndog to not look appetizing:D
    i love anything on a stick.

9. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Excellent.
    Thanks everybody. The pictures, the unexpectedly detailed and quite loving descriptions......now TV (and, therefore, life :D makes a bit more sense)

because the little things are as important as the big things when discovering about other cultures. thats why.

thanks everybody,
    Duffzilla

10. Now I'm hungry.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too. I need some twinkies. And oreos.

12. Apu voice on: "you cannot hurt a Twinky."
    Apu off.

Are they really that indestructible? I've never had one, although I'm sure they're available up here. I ate a full bag of Oreo Double Stuff once, though. I barfed for days after....:D

13. i once read somewhere that a guy started a stand or something selling fried twinkies. Seriously, not a joke. he took twinkies and FRIED them. i wanna try one.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, don't fry 'em! Freeze 'em! Twinkies (and several other Hostess snack cakes for that matter) are best when put in the freezer. Also, there are several offshoots of a lot of those products-like chocolate Twinkies and Double-Stuff Oreos (Oreos with more cream in the center, making them far superior to standard Oreos).

I need to see a dentist.

15. just print those pictures and keep them near your tv. It will be just like all the footnotes they have in Shakespeare plays ;).

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anyone ever tried deep fried cheescake?

17. No, they're actually pretty fragile, at least the Vachon ones. I've never had a Hostess one.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I snack too much.
    I just went to VONS and got some snacks
    1 bag of doritos salsa verde chips(with a bottle of Pace picante for dipping)
    1 bag of Snyder's Jalapeno Pretzel bits
    2 boxes of Ritx bits smores(I love this things, I just ate a whole box)
    12 pack of Cream Soda
    1 Bag of Crispy M&Ms
    2 Pomegranates
    1 pint of godiva Dark chocolate Ice cream
    1 box of fudge covered oreos

and then my friend got
    1 pound of mission tortilla chips
    2 bags of snyders jalapeno pretzel bits(a dorm favorite)
    1 box of spicy tabasco cheezits
    and a bunch of other stuff

I forgot jelly beans though :(

19. they still make those...i personally found them to taste terrible though :p