Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American spector deal and thinking on selling my thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm currently talking to a guy who wants to buy my '97 thumb for 1350.00 w/out a case and am thinking of buying a used american spector n/t NS-5XL with a case for 1200.00. Is this a good deal in anyone elses opinion and why or why not??? Help me out here fellas since I have no idea what the resale value on the spector is.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'd easily go for the Spector over the Warwick without hesitation, assuming of course that the Spector is still in good shape.

I also think the resale on (USA) Spectors is quite good, but I'll let out more experienced Spector fans comment on that.

Do you prefer the sound of the Spector over the Warwick now? or is resale value the clincher here?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's cheap for a US model 5-string Spector!!! In fact, that's so cheap, I've got to ask if anything's wrong with it!

Typically, you can find them new and used at Bass NW. Look at their prices as a comparison. I'm pretty sure they'd get around twice that for a US 5-string.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There was a small repair done to the neck at one point that was repaired by stuart spector but thats all. It was refinished ands everything. RAM you just made me incredibly paranoid, that and bassnw did'nt have any US. spectors in stock:eek: :D .

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's too expensive for a USA NS-5XL. What you need to do is give me this guys phone # & email address so I can tell him that he shouldn't try to rip you off!!!!!:p :D

That's a great price. I bought a natural USA NS-5 for $1500 & I thought I did good. I'd make sure everything was OK, i.e., not stolen, truss rod works, Haz-Lab hasen't been replaced, etc.

I'm not familiar w/the Warwick Thumb, but 99% of the Warwicks I tried, I did not like.

If I were you, The only reason I wouldn't buy the Spector is if I liked the Warwick ALOT. b Buit since you're considering selling it, you just answered your own question.

Concerning resale value, I've seen USA Spector 5's sell anywhere in the $1500-$2200 depending on condition & hwo many people wanted one @ that particular time.

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I would call Stuart Spector w/the model & serial # & ask him about the repair.

7. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does stuart spector just out of curiosity sign and date all the backs of his basses at the head stock by hand or this a freak accurance???:confused:

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Since 1992 (When he started making basses by himself w/out Kramer) Stuart signs every USA bass, put the model, date & "Woodstock NY" on it.

9. Are you sure the Spector is an NS-5XL? There's a transparent red Spector 5 with a slight neck repair (crack near the nut) that's been up for sale at a couple of the regular online bass dealers, but it's a regular 34" scale, not the 35" XL.

If it's the bass I'm thinking of, I played it a couple of years ago when it was at Bass Palace. It seemed really nice at that point, so I can't quite figure out why it's been going for "fire sale" prices ($1400 or so) the last time or two I've seen it come up for sale since then. Maybe the repair is enough to scare people off and the dealers are just trying to move it, though I don't remember even noticing the repair myself.

Anyway, $1200 could be a really excellent price, since they normally go for the $1800-2000 range. Just be cautious, and check with Stuart about the bass if you can.

Mike

10. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanx alot guys but I love my thumb way too much to actually sell it so I passes on the deal to nino for all his help and show of interest ( even jokingly) but if he's not interested its still up for grabs.:D :p

11. Oooo, you make big mistake, no, BIG MISTAKE!!!

The thumb bass is a nice bass but I'm sorry, it doesn't compare to the Spector IMO!

What I'd suggest is that you bring your Warwick with you and A/B with the Spector through the same amp. That way you'd know which you would prefer!

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. Normally I wouldn't tell you to outright get one over the other, but the price on the Spector is a fantastic deal. Also, US models have lifetime warranties. Before you pass on the deal, call Stuart's shop and ask if the warranty would apply in this case. Then, if there's anything that looks even remotely out of wack, see if Stuart would fix it up good as new. He's a very helpful guy, very attentive to Spector owners:D

13. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree with moth of you but I tried one of the europa series just to see if I likes the way it felt in my hands and well...I did'nt. It's an awesome deal and if anyone wants the info to this guy I'll help him move it but the only way I could afford it is to sell my thumb 5 and it truly feels like an extension of me.:D :( :p . Thanx guys.

Also one of the main reasons I was considering it is because of the 35' scale which this one does not have. Its a NS-5 not a NS-5XL.:rolleyes: