American Standard info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by smokinbass, May 29, 2004.

1. While searching for information about American Standards I came across the website which of course had no info about basses. I contacted the webmaster in hopes of getting some more info and he ended up putting up a page about basses. Unfortunately most of his info is limited to old catalogs. He sent me some photos too which were almost all King basses. It seems to me the Kings had violin corners and the ASs had gambas. Well anyway here's what I found out so far.

Stringed instruments (including basses) were first made in 1935 and the company was sold to Kay in 1965. This means the #s on the site that start in 1925 are definately wrong for these AS basses and may instead be related to brass instruments.

I mentioned that I had not seen an AS serial # above 3000 and he remarked that 3000 seemed about right for total production. If this is correct that would be about 100 AS basses per year if production was steady and unchanging making my # 787 a 1943 bass. This is my math and is in no way absolutely correct. He said he would try and search for more information but I haven't heard back from him as of yet.

Meanwhile I'd like to encourage AS owners to post their serial #s here along with a small thumbnail and/or link to photos of their instrument. Maybe together we can get some info ironed out and if not we'll at least have a small database of known AS basses. Thanks in advance for your participation.
  2. Attached Files:

3. # 2688 for sale at upton basses

Attached Files:

4. Here's the latest from my source. I think I was talking 3000 total A.S. basses made and maybe he thought I meant per year:

My source says that three thousand per year is a little high, and he says that it would be more like 2500-3000 in a good year. I still think this is quite high considering the serial #s out there.
    Workers in the string bass department also jobbed shared in the case department. This is important because if a large order for brass instruments came in, people would be "borrowed" to make cases instead of basses.
    Also, he told me that almost no string instruments were made during World War II. The factory was converted to make radar parts and only the service department remained open.
  5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I have #2047. No pics yet(I'll do so when it's up and running), but it closely resembles Maestro's.

6. Cathryn White agrees that the total bass production was less than 3000. The construction time was very long and she can not remember for sure but about four to five weeks start to finish for one bass.
  7. Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Spike...I think we talked before about these basses. They info. you put up is Kip Martin's, right? Fretwell Bass in Staunton, Va and Roger Stowers have different info, and I still don't know who is right. Martin's info shows no numbers between 600 and 1560 because of the the war. So tell me when my #1194 was made? I'm at a loss here.
  8. I think everyone here will agree Kip's is the most accurate as he worked with the White family and has all the known basses documented as best as possible, i heard there are some more in your # range but Kip has been slow in updates, i'll send him a message thru myspace to see if i can get an update from him....

btw, my former handle at TalkBass was smokinbass

the restoration of my bass is still available at the old address but not sure for how long as i gave up the website it is on so it is now on my myspace page
  9. actually, to answer your question "when was my bass made", the answer is "nobody really knows for sure"...

any answer is really a guess with little facts thrown in to make it more "educated"