American Standard, is it real?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by winnets, Apr 3, 2007.

1. winnets

winnets

May 26, 2006
    Surrey, UK
    Hi,
    I have found a bass for sale that is advertised as an american standard, the seller claims that the neck has been reset and the back has been refinished, he also states that the serial # is illegible although the label is intact.

The pictures I have do not show a whole lot of detail but here they are anyways. Does this look like it may be real? Or does it look like I would be wasting my time looking at this?

Thanks fer looking

Attached Files:

2. winnets

winnets

May 26, 2006
    Surrey, UK
    I forgot to mention, it has had the fingerboard replaced with a Brazillian Rosewood 'board and the tailpiece has been replaced.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    It appears to be the same body shape as mine.

4. winnets

winnets

May 26, 2006
    Surrey, UK
    Thanks, I know it's hard to tell much from these photos but I was just looking for a little reassurance. I may have to take a good close look at this one, troubhle is I really can't afford and don't need another bass so something's gonna have to go.

5. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    yep,

That is an American Standard. Had been listed on ebay in the last week or two, with what I thought was an inflated price. I don't recall if it ever had any bids.

It looks to be refinished and if it were me, I'd ask for some more pictures, especially of the neck joint, from both sides and up close at the button. I'd also ask about any cracks (active or repaired).

Since it has been refinished, it should have the price reduced somewhat.

The bridge looks really tall, so I'd also ask about the action at the end of the fingerboard. I'm sure there are some of these basses that had rosewood fingerboards, most have ebony. It may not even be setup properly.

I own 2 American Standards and these basses have some serious mojo for laminate basses. They do historically have some problems with the neck joint. Just had my older one reset 2 years ago.

I've heard some dogs (in these basses) but, given a proper setup and the right set of strings, they are hard to beat for the big tone and volume most bassists crave. One of these same dogs I heard was incredibly good after a proper setup.

I hope this helps,

6. winnets

winnets

May 26, 2006
    Surrey, UK
    I already asked about the action. It seems odd that you said it has been listed on ebay recently. What was the seller's location if you can remember? This bass is for sale in London, and it seems that AS's are pretty rare on this side of the pond.

7. winnets

winnets

May 26, 2006
    Surrey, UK
    Hmm, after a little ebay searching I see that it was for sale in the states, I also noticed that the advert text was the same as the ebay text, but with all the location info removed. Looks like I may have to stay way from this one.

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    The bridge appears to be off-center. That could mean the neck was not installed straight.

9. Doesn't the tailpeice look a little cockeyed too?

10. In addition to being off center and the TP skewed it looks like they tried to compensate the bridge like you would on a fretted EBG. It probably needs a full set up at least. The top and back are both refinished. Odd that both photos cut off the scroll and peg-box.

11. winnets

winnets

May 26, 2006
    Surrey, UK
    None of the setup or finish problems would scare me off, I have two local luthiers who do excellent work, Andrew Riley and Brian Cohen. What has scared me off of this bass is that it seems to be that the pictures and description have been stolen from an auction that was placed in the USA. This bass most likely does not exist over here, at best the seller does not actually own it or have it in their posession. I think the seller was looking for an overseas sale so that they could have an electronic payment, with extra for shipping and then just 'dissapear' leaving the buyer with no bass and no money. I asked the seller specific questions about the bass, volume, string length, action etc. and the location of the bass as if it had been a real sale I would have been picking it up from the seller.

12. gnergaard

gnergaard

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    ...and the rosewood fingerboard (actulally I'm pretty sure it's a north American variety called "Iron Wood" -Pau Ferro anyone? that was certainly forrested in Midwest USA around the time they built these). Really, really hard stuff. When I had it replaned my luthier said it was torture on his tools. It's identical to the one I just replaced on my American Standard which dates to the mid 1940s.
    Also the grain on the top is very very similar to mine as well- and the revarnish isn't that big a deal on a laminate bass anyway. Everything that has been said about the neck joints on these is true- I just spent a whole lot on my neck which cracked laterally across the heel. If it the neck on this was reset well, then it's a great deal- if not then expect to spend some money on it but to get a big bass in the the end.
    You do know that the string length on these is 43"-44", right?
    I ended up replacing the original Pau Ferro board with traditional ebony and I'm not sure I made the right choice...
    Just curious though, what is the asking price?

13. 43-44" string length. Were these basses made for Paul Bunyon?

14. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    These basses were made in the days of gut strings, which needed the tension of a longer string length to do their work as orchestral school basses. Out here in the west they are not so commonly encountered, but have found a good market with oldtimey, rockabilly, roots, and bluegrass players. A friend of mine bought the one that I had in the shop and underneath the coat of black paint, the fingerboard was made of that very hard pinkish mystery wood.

15. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    This bass was posted on eBay twice. First time it did not meet the reserve, the second time the listing ended early because the item was no longer available. The bass was in Dyer, IN, United States. The reserve price was set at around $3000 I had some e-mail conversation back and forth on this bass. It was bought in 1968 for $80 and was currently in need of a set up. The bridge shown in the picture was an uncut 20 year old Wein bridge that he was throwing in the deal. He was in no real need of selling it and owned several other basses...don't know where it is now...but that is what was discussed with the gentleman. I noticed another AS bass listed on eBay about a month ago that seemed a bit odd. I guess a hacker can steal photos and text to replicate the listing...buyer beware. :eyebrow:

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021