1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Standard Jaguar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Schwargbass, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Schwargbass

Schwargbass Supporting Member

May 10, 2017
    Anyone know of one ? Do you dig em ? Do you think fender will ever do another american standard run given the models recent popularity ?

2. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    I've got one and it's a great bass. Given the relatively popularity of all the other Jaguar bass variants, I'm surprised the American model didn't have a longer run. Great neck, looks good, and a high end P-J setup that leaves you in good position to cover everything.

3. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017
    I've been searching for one and it's driving me crazy, so hard to find.

4. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    I got a used one off Reverb last November and after that, it appears that everyone who has one isn't parting with it. You'd think there'd be more used ones floating around but no. It must have been a very limited run.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I looked for one for awhile and have even considered the short scale Squier variant. I'm surprised more weren't made as it seemed to get a lot of praise.

6. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017
    I lost one on ebay yesterday...

7. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017

8. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    Mine was a store demo that had some buckle rash on the back and I got it for $1100. It was in very good condition and still had the plastic on the pick guard. I felt like it was a good price all considered. Who knows, maybe this will be one of the rare new Fenders that really appreciates in value over time, simply because of the limited numbers made.

9. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017
    I think so, I remember a couple of months ago you could find them with relative ease now it's like they never existed. What color do you have ? Also, if you ever want to sell it please let me have first crack.

10. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017
    Also from internet searches there is a guy in china that has like 5 of them but for 3 grand.

11. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015

Mine's black and I'm taking it to my grave! I've been playing for about three decades. I'm not like some of the dudes on here with dozens of basses. But I have gone through a lot of instruments in search of the right balance. I've learned that the P-style pickup is to my ears the best one, and that all I really need is one bass with rounds, and one with flats. I had a really nice Ovation Magnum that I'd always had mixed feelings about, and was finally able to flip it for a good amount of money, which covered getting the Jaguar.

When I got the Jag, I was like, I'm done. I've got the perfect set up. I've got a '75 Precision, the Jag, a Bass VI, and a couple of Squier Jag shorties. I'm done and will let my GAS settle on pedals from here on out.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm basically there, too.

My Jazz is my main and will be until I die. I'm buying a P just to throw flats on it to do the Motown and soul thing, and I have a Ray because it was my first "good" bass and it's so best to hell that it's worth far more to me than what I could ever sell it for. I found my amp setup, and pedals are fun to play with and are fairly inexpensive to mess with.

13. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    In my case, I kept the Precision with rounds and put the flats on the Jaguar, which wasn't how I thought I'd do it. I will say the Jazz pickup on the Jag is noisy! Especially if you have any dirt going on. I find it almost unusable and may go for some sort of noiseless option at some point. I'm also not a huge fan of the active setup and I'd have been fine with the Jag shape and a single P pickup. But for folks who want everything in one bass, it's all there in the Jag.

14. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017

15. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017
    I had to try

burpgun likes this.
  16. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017
    I just found one used for 1500

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  17. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I played a few of them; they're nice basses. My intuition tells me that this model just didn't sell well at all, and that is why they sunsetted them. If you're having a hard time finding one on the used market, it might be less about people hording them and more about there not really being many out there.

18. Schwargbass

May 10, 2017
    That's what I'm afraid of

19. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I have one. It's the SB/Tort finish.
    The ONLY gripe I have about the bass is that the pickup selector/series-parallel switches are located just about where my knuckles are if I'm slapping (which I don't do a lot because I'm not too good at it).
    The passive P, the passive J, and the passive PJ are very nicely voiced. The active versions are monstrous! There are so many tones available. You have to be careful with the active treble boost as it can get a little brittle, but on the whole it's tameable.
    The balance is good. The neck is a treat to play.
    I really like the string retainer on the A string too.
    I have 7250ML Fender NPS strings on there, and they seem to work perfectly on this bass.

My wife bought me the bass for my 50th birthday. I told her I wanted a USA Fender, and we'd always joked about me getting a Jaguar car for my "mid life crisis." She got me the USA Fender Jaguar.
    We lost our home in the Thomas fire in December. The Jaguar was one of only three guitars I saved.

Schwargbass likes this.
  20. Fully agree ... much better to keep this model in production instead of the massive, and then recalled, Dimension experiment :thumbsdown::crying:

Schwargbass likes this.