American standard jazz replacement bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stelios82k, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Hey guys, i have an American Standard Jazz 2015 and i try to achieve a low action setup. Problem is the bridge saddles were all the way to the bottom when relief was correclty adjusted. I tried to shim the neck at heel giving angle to the neck but i could not setup the bass correctly.
    I then did a full neck shim and the action came to acceptable numbers within fender specs but the saddles were almost to the bottom.
    The question is: i saw a fender deluxe bass bridge that has the same features as my current (string through body). Does anyone know if it has a thinner baseplate so i can install it and remove the full neck shim? If not what are my alternatives?

Thank you in advance

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yes, it should fit right on.

still, it's very unusual that your stock bridge can't be easily adjusted so the strings are all the way down, and with no shim. sounds like something else is off, like neck relief or nut slot height.

Warhawk likes this.
  3. I removed the shim, adjusted the neck relief at 0.11" and the action at 17th fret is 2.2m but the bridge saddles are all the way down. I feel there is space to go lower but the bridge saddles don't allow this. I checked the nut and it seems just fine!

So i am looking for a bridge with a thinner baseplate than mine that will allow me for more adjustment.

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    You need the correct shim which would be a graduated shim for the whole neck pocket. It gets thicker as the pocket goes towards the pickup route. This is actually a very common issue with Fender basses. I've seen a bunch of them that came from the factory with a metal shim in the neck pocket. A little bit of a shim will go a long way. Much further than getting a new bridge with a thinner base plate.

SLO Surfer and stelios82k like this.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I don't think you are going to find a base plate that much thinner than a standard jazz bridge.

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The bridge you're looking at is slightly thinner, but not really enough to address the actual issue of needing a proper shim. I replaced the HMV bridge on my American Standard with one of these, but it was because I didn't like the clunky design and tendency of strings to twist with the HMV. I didn't realize until I removed the HMV that it's actually two pieces...the hunk of metal that the saddles go through is simply bolted to the base plate with three screws. It's design kind of runs counter to the traditional design approach of high mass bridges in the first place, where they're mostly machined from a single piece of solid brass. It's not a feature (high mass) I really care about in a bridge, YMMV. To answer your question, the bridge will fit but it's probably better to address the cause than the symptoms.

SLO Surfer and stelios82k like this.
  7. Do you happen to know the actual baseplate thickness of the bridge i am talking about? I would like to see if the difference in thickness makes up for the shim i am using. That would be great help. Thank you for your response!

8. petrus61

It's probably a millimeter difference, if that. I'll see if I can measure it later but I sold my HMV since and can't give an actual comparison. The saddles are also smaller on the Dlx bridge (actually it's the same bridge that came on pre 08 American Std's but it's often sold these days as the AmDlx, as it was the stock bridge on those of the same period), so there's that to consider also.

9. It's these two bridges we are talking about, right? I have the first one and i am interested in the second one. IMG_8034.jpg IMG_9947.jpg

10. petrus61

11. I have an '012 American Standard p bass with the same problem, string action not nearly as low as it should be able to go but the bridge saddles are bottomed out. I switched out the stock HMV bridge you currently have on yours with the one from your second pic, known as the American deluxe. I prefer the deluxe because it's lighter and the strings don't seem to twist, but it did not solve my (your) problem and the bridge saddles were still bottomed out with only a medium to medium low string height/action.

Answer; the new bridge won't help enough, and we both need to properly shim our basses.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Lownote38 and petrus61 like this.
  12. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Had similar problem with one of mine non-Fender basses. Previous owner made 2mm thick plank in shape of neck pocket. I removed it and placed 1mm shim at heel with better effect at the bridge.
    Propper shim is easy to make and should not have weird effect on setup.

13. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    Im not exactly sure but if vintage bridge saddles are smaller than the modern ones on these bridges (which look to use the same saddles) but if so then they might give you a little bit of room to lower the action. I wouldn't imagine it being by much though. A proper shim is probably the best option.

SLO Surfer likes this.
  14. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have ground the bottom of the saddles flat in the past, no reason they need to be round unless you plan on ever flipping them ... you will probably need to run a tap through the threads afterwards for the saddle height screws (and maybe use shorter screws) ...

also, the threaded saddles used on vintage style bridges are usually smaller diameter than what you are looking at, but your intonation screws may need to be replaced with them as well ...

sissy kathy likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021