American Standard Jazz vs Classic Vibe 60's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noelb40, Nov 2, 2017.

1. I just acquired a used 2010 Squire CV 60's Jazz and have been completely blown out of the water by how genuinely awesome this bass is. In build quality, playability, and yes tone, it is really difficult to find any real difference. I also have a 2013 American Standard Jazz. Both bass's are strung with roundwounds, Rotosound SS on the Am Standard, unknown on the CV. With the dials set identical there is virtually no difference, maybe a hair more "ring" or Growl on the Am standard. I took the callipers to the neck at the nut and heel, and the body on the horn and by the rear strap button, near identical dimensions. The frets are slightly smaller on the CV. Again just blown away at the quality of the Squire. Plus, I got it for a steal at $250.00 CDN, with a fender branded gig bag AND not a scuff, ding, or scratch on it. WOW. Homerun product out of China.

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    As a previous CV 60J (Oly white) owner, i have no complaint with the build quality , comfort playing and good hardware.

The only downside is the weight close to 11lbs on my copy. Stock pickup sound is sweet and smooth with a bit low output , but i believe install a set of Fender 64's Jazz pup will make it shine !!!

I sold both my CV60J and CV50P but keep the CV60P just because i more prefer split coil P vibe.

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    The CVs are great value. I have a Matt Freeman p bass which is basically a CV, as well as a couple of mij Fender p basses and I feel the Matt Freeman is a step above the Fenders.

pudgychef, Yahboy and lowdownthump like this.
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Unleash the, “ my Squire is better than your ‘fill in blank’ crowd.

No offense OP, I know you didn’t say it, it’s just a well worn cliche around here...

BillMason likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The Classic Vibe basses are a great product . I happen to like everything about my CV 60's Precision . I play it proudly right along with my $1700 USA bass.

Yahboy likes this.
  6. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Unleash the cork sniffers!

MMiller28, Tooned and 40Hz like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've always liked the Inca Silver and LPB CV Jazz basses.
    If they made one in Race Red with a matching headstock I'd buy one at 10 o'clock as soon as Guitar Center opened.

noelb40 and lowdownthump like this.
  8. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I bought a beat CV60J for my son off Craig's list for $80. After replacing the pick guard, control plate, pickups, re-wiring everything, and scraping all the stickers off, the bass looked practically brand new. Apparently all the stickers protected the underlying bass and it turned out pristine.

The bass now looks and plays awesome! I was REALLY surprised how nice it turned out. I sourced all of the parts either out of my old parts bins, or off of the TB classifieds. I think the only new part I bought new was the set of knobs.

I have been on the look out for another, and haven't seen any my local CL for the last couple of years.

9. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    There are some hidden treasures out there, absolutely.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Oh, I forgot to add to the second part of this story: as to the title of the thread.

As far as a comparison between the CV, and my American Jazz: two different instruments.

Out of the box, as far as I can tell, everything on my MIA J's is 'nicer': body wood, neck, nut, tuners, pickups, pots, bridge, even the pickup wiring). Although, the necks are different, my son likes his CV neck better than my MIA. I will concede that the CV neck feels more rolled, but I prefer my MIAs frets and contour.

The MIA J neck is also more stable. I rarely have to tune my MIA, and it only ever requires a slight truss rod adjustment between seasons to keep my action really low. The CV takes a tiny bit little more fussing. I can get the CV action just as low, but it requires a shim and a tweak (I have shims in my MIAs too).

Everything else is just personal preference. My son loves the sound of almost all stock ceramic pickups, I hate ANY stock pickups. The good thing is that this give me a usable path of old parts.

I am definitely a fan of the CV series: but I really think a lot of "what's different/better" is in how the instrument is set up. I have MIA, MIM, MIC, MII and custom guitars that I love.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    The CV’s are a great value. Having said that, I’ve compared one to my American Pro Fender, my Adam Clayton Signature Fender and my Fender Custom Shop.

Once you start doing side by sides you’ll realize the differences for sure!

Biggest issues are the weight as someone mentioned, the tuning issues as someone mentioned, the overall tone from the electronics and the general cheaper feel to everything.

I think it’s important to mention though that most importantly the QC on the CV’s is lacking. Some feel and play great, some not so much.

All in all it’s a great instrument for the price and I could see these being coveted a decade plus down the road.

BillMason likes this.
  12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Same problem that happend with MIM and MIA Fender too.

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    As a chef, this humors me.

wizard65 and lowdownthump like this.
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

In my experience, the Classic Vibe Jazz is a fantastic instrument. If I were in a situation where I could only have one, single bass, and that bass had to be a CV-J, odds are I wouldn't be disappointed. As far as the differences between it and MIA Standards, I'm gonna guess it would mainly come down to the instrument's ability to be set up properly and the player's personal sense of ergonomics.

I suspect yours was an exception, as if you somehow ended up with "The Densest Piece Of Basswood In The Known Universe" or something. :confused: In my case, the two CV Jazzes I've owned all felt to be of reasonable weights, the heaviest being 8¾lbs.

lowdownthump and Yahboy like this.
  15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have no luck, my current CV60P weight 9lbs, previous CV50P weight 9.5lbs...... and ibanez SRFF805 weight 10.5lbs .
    3 Cv50Ps i try at GC all weight almost equal, same with 3 CV70P too ~ 8+/- lbs.

lowdownthump and Malak the Mad like this.
  16. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Same experience for me. My 1st fiesta red CV60's P weighed 8 lbs. 2nd sonic blue weighed 9.8 lbs, white one weighed 8lbs, Eva Gardner P weighed 7.8 lbs. My current Fiesta Red CV 60's P weighs right at or under 9lbs give or take a few ounces.
    It's actually the best sounding and playing of them all.

Yahboy likes this.
  17. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Well it probably shorted out. You are lucky to be alive. Next time get out of the water before you play your electric bass.

bwinger and SwitchGear like this.
  18. Bassman474

Bassman474

Sep 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I just received my CV jazz from guitarcenter's used site, were an employee had unwittingly listed it at 159$ :thumbsup: Needless to say a its incredible, and although I prefer my '01 MIA jazz the squier is certainly a close contender. I have some dimarzio area j's lying around i'all likely put in it but the stock pickups are pretty solid as they stand.

wizard65 and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

This happens with some frequency, where someone at Guitar Center mistakes it for a Vintage Modified and prices it accordingly. That's how I scored my second CV-J. Not only was it priced like a VM, but it even came with an SKB hard-shell case. :smug:

So, here's a helpful shoppers tip if you're in the market for a Classic Vibe Jazz…if you spot an Olympic White Squier Jazz on GC's used database and you're not sure it's a CV or a VM, there are a few, telltale signs to look for.
    1. High-mass bridge. This is usually the best, dead giveaway.
    2. Vintage tinting and gold foil script on the headstock.
    3. Thumb-rest below the strings.
    The tort guard isn't a good indicator. The white VM-J's are fitted with them too, plus people change them up all the time.

20. Unleash the cork sniffers!

Hahah Hilarious! (Does he know how many people come here, may not check in every second??!)

I can speak in honesty when I say, I have a few Fender Basses and also a delightful Sandberg California which I love. BUT recently I put new strings on the CV Jazz sat by my desk, the one that takes the coffee spills and dinks the desk when I answer my phone. I too was blown away!! Like, 'Why don't I gig with this beast!??' So Honky and Jazzy. Maybe some are better than others like someone said earlier BUT there are too many of us agreeing that they are incredible. Like others have said however, USA basses can differ vastly.

Here's to the Classic Vibe Jazz! (I won't sniff the cork though lol)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021