Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American Standard label question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jazzman, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have searched and not come up with anything. I have also searched the US Patent records website. So, my question is, what year was the patent for the American Standard basses granted?

I am trying to date my bass, and the serial number info just points between 1925 and 1939. But, at the bottom of the label, it says "PATENT APPLIED FOR." I am hoping this can narrow it closer than a fourteen year range.

FWIW, it is "NO. 410"

2. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Jazzman-

Go to the HNWHITE.com website. You will see that the basses began in manufacture around 1936. I've done some research and there are really no confirmed manufacture dates known to me, but the basses seem to be numbered consecutively (presumably)from single digits, as we know there are some with 2 digits existing. There is a well-discussed thread on this here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139150&highlight=american+standard+date

That being said, I think yours is from the late thirties/early forties. Mine is #2047, maybe late 40s/early 50s.

Ike

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I have a copy of an old ad, the headline of which reads, "A New American Made Wood Bass". It originates from 1936 and features the American Standard, priced at $110! As it was described as "new", I assume they started production in or about 1936.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Arnold...you sold me my bass. Do you have any idea how old it is? This is Chris Brusa. ;)

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Chris, yours is the improved 2nd generation model. I think mid-1950s.

6. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Wonderful, thanks alot for the info.

7. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    We just picked up two American Standard basses today, #40 and #368. They need some work...but they are great basses. They both have the "patent applied for" statement on the tags. I'll post some pictures soon.

8. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Congrats, Eric, you now have the lowest AS serial # (40) on our little list. Do you know any history on these?

Ike

9. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Ike, all I know is that they were sitting in a basement, forgotten to the world, decaying. We picked them up in the greater Providence, RI area.

I'll actually have some questions for the board on the direction I should take them in regards to the restoration of them. I looked over that thread and linked website that chronicled the restoration job done by Peter Mix's crew. A really good job, but it seems against my training to ditch the scroll and the original finish. Both these basses will need new necks, and I would rather just do a neck/scroll graft. I like to remove as little original material as possible.

Anyway, it'll be some months before I get cracking on them as we are hip high in repairs as it is now. I'll check in and keep you posted.

I would love to know what the lowest numbered American Standard is that is known to still exist. It would be quite the honor to think we may be sitting on it...

10. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

11. Whoa, hold on. I'm having another look at my #87. Maybe there's a decimal point between the 8 and the 7.

12. Wait a minute. My American Standard lost the ugly bass contest because voters thought the ugly finish looked hip.
    http://lordonly.net/Images/John/talkbassass/don4131/
    Admittedly, it's hard to top the green sludge in the neck joint on Chris' entry.

13. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    What pickup are you sportin' on that big fiddle, Don? K&K? I've tried the old Fishman, Gage & Underwood, and reluctantly leaning toward the Underwood for now. I'd like to try the Full Circle on mine.

Ike

14. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am not Don, but I will say that I didn't like the sound of the K&K pickups on my American Standard. They were great on my old bass, but just didn't match well with the AS. My bridge won't fit the Full Circle, so I went with the Realist. It sounds great with this bass. Slightly boomey, but so is the bass. ;)

15. Damn, I forgot how ugly that Mother is Dono!!!!!!!

16. That's a one-of-a-kind K&K that Bob Golihur got them to make for me. It's two piezos, one under each bridge wing, stereo lead to a pre-amp, mono lead to the speaker. It was superior to the Realistand everything else at the time. Now I have an AMT mic which blows away all pickups, inluding Pick Up the World, which I have on my New Standard hybrid. PUTW was superior to all prior pickups, but not the mic.

17. Flatterer!

18. 53richb

53richb

Mar 27, 2004
    Arnold:

I assume you are referring to design changes that were incorporated into the old American Standard line as opposed to the changes that you made to improve this particular bass.

If that is the case, would you mind being a little more specific about what these improvements were?

Thanks in advance.