Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

American standard or delux?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jake15, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'm feuding between a fender American standard jazz bass and a american deluxe jazz bass.I know that the deluxe is active but is it worth the extra money?Can you get a standard with 22 frets instead of 20?I'd like to know what you think.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Why would you want a bass with more frets? Rule of the thumb... Bigger means better in the bass world.

I'd get the American Standard, but that's just because I like passive pickups. It's all personal prefrence. The money issue between an American Jazz and an American Jazz Deluxe isn't going to be like an $1000 thing... If you hae the money just figure it out by which you like better... active or passive.

Hope that helps.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I just ordered a Custom Bass with 25 Frets.
    DO I use the 25 Frets? YES.

Then, If he wants 22 Frets he MUST get 22 Frets.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I myself like the tone of the deluxe better, thats why I bought one, I think they sound a bit better, and have more bottom end (thanks to that 3 band eq) than the american series do. They have more umph and punch imo and more flexable tone. The price difference isnt all that much either. maybe $200

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They both have passive pickups, CrawlingEye.

I have two MIA JD5's. IME the preamp is excellent, it's quiet and the 3 bands are centered where I'd like them to be. Very easy to play, too. I think they did a great job with this bass.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hmmm... you sure? I had a MIM Jazz Deluxe and it had active pickups.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I seriously doubt it. Active pickups won't come as standard on any Fender AFAIK. I've seen lots of Fenders with EMG pickups, though, which are active.
    I think you're confusing active pickups with active basses = battery powered preamp.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a 97 ADJ...real fun to play. Great variety of tones with the active electronics. I would have been happy with the ASJ too because they both feel great.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    American Std-Passive pick-ups
    American Dlx-Passive pick-ups w/3 band active 9V pre-amp.

I personally like the Amer Dlx better than the Amer Std.
    Smaller body is more comfortable
    Nicer feeling neck
    Pre-amp is very versatile.

If I were to buy a Fender, it'd be an Amer Dlx 5.

10. Well.... I'm in the minority here but I like the AM Std. better than the deluxe. When I went shopping I was leaning towards the deluxe, because of the active guts and stuff. I played both and liked the sound of the std. better. It's not as versatile of course and the preamp is quite nice, but the deluxes I played were missing something that I found in the std. I also found the deluxes felt kinda off, I can't put my finger on it, though... I don't like the body shape on the deluxe either. It just doesn't look like a jazz bass to me. The only advice I'm gonna give is to play a bunch of both and buy the one that grabs ya! :D That's what I did and I couldn't be happier with my bass! Of course that doesn't seem to be quelling my GAS for a Spector.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I didn't mean the Std is not as good as the Dlx. I just like it better for me. Now I see the word SPECTOR come up & I'm interested. I love Spectors!!!!

12. Well, I didn't mean that stds are better, And that I just like 'em better for me too! :D. Spectors %&*&^$# Rock! I'm jonesing so bad, there's a beautiful red stained NS-4 CRFM at my buddy's store that I'm totally in love with, and is being offered to me at a killer price, but I can't afford it....yet. I considered selling my jazz bass for it but I decided that I like it too much to sell it. So I have to wait for my Spector... The fact that I spent a pile of cash on a vintage SVT last fall doesn't help either.

13. Lowhighq

Lowhighq

Mar 7, 2001
    i just bought a used deluxe fretless, and it r0><0rs. you'd do well to get one. the active electronics really do make for a more flexible bass, and aesthetically, it's better. smaller, and a much more attractive pickguard (for what that's worth). i just don't like the big white ones :)

14. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Go for the deluxe,never settle for second best.
    I love my usa jazz dlx.

15. SEE! I said I was in the minority!;)

Aesthetics are definately subjective, though. I love the original J-Bass styling, and didn't find anything comfortable about the dlx. Although I will admit that I didn't like the white PG. I got rid of mine and put on a tortoiseshell one. Big improvement!

16. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Is the deluxe alot smaller than the standard?

17. The space between the neck pup and the neck is much smaller, I was wondering if this affects the scale?

18. To me, the MIA Deluxe Jazz's I've played feel and sound better than American Series Jazz's.

Btw: The American Deluxe has Noiseless pickups (stacked humbuckers) which are passive.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's correct, noiseless pickups on the newer ones. I've always been puzzled by that name, my 97 MIA JD5's are dead quiet...what noise did they get "less" of?;)

BTW I'm pretty sure Jazzes didn't have active pickups:D

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    MIM Jazz Deluxes come stock with passive pickups and active electronics.