American standard or highway1, how do i know ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsa0100, Jul 10, 2008.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I have the chance to buy a very nice P-bass.
    The seller insist it's an American standard.
    However it comes with a gigbagg that used
    to be included with the highway 1.
    How can i know what type it is ?

2. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    It usually says "Made in ..." either on the headstock or on the back of the neck by the neckpocket. Or you can ask the seller for the serialnumber and trace it. Maybe e-mail Fender with the serialnumber.

3. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I think it says Made in U.S.A on both types.

4. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre

Nov 22, 2004
    The two have "Made in USA on the headstock. But the body is different: the American Standard have through the body holes. And for older HWY1 the neck is different, with the truss rod's hole at the headstock. Also, the headstock of the updated HWY One is 70's like; the American Standard headstock is like the old HWY1. Moreover, if you want, you can remove the pickguard and check the capacitors to see if it has the Greasebucket: if it has two capacitors, it's a HWY1. By the way, I have an old (before upgrade) Precision HWY1 and I prefer his neck. I hope it helps.

5. emesen

emesen

Jan 3, 2007
    Lake Forest, Ca
    highway one basses have basass bridges standard, no strings through body and the finish Is a matte thin nitro. If the bass is shiny, has a standard bridge and the strings go through the body, it's an American STD.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    There's also the logo difference.

This might be an American Series bass you know.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Are you talking about an old American Standard..Pre 2000 or a new one?
    There is an old and a new version of the Highway one as well.

The easiest way to tell the difference is that the H1's have a satin finish while the American Standard/American Series have Glossy fininshes.

The tuners on the American Standard/American Series basses will also be branded with a backwards F, while H1's have the "vintage" style tuners.

The newer American Standard/Series basses will have string through bodies, but the older ones (late 80's early 90's not sure when they started with the string through, but around there some time) won't, so you can't really use that as the defining factor.

8. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    Highway 1/One
    [​IMG]
    Made in USA appears on back of headstock

V.S.

American Standard/Series
    [​IMG]
    Made in USA appears on front of headstock

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That would apply to recent production.

The old American Standards of the late 80's early 90's had a logo more similar to the first logo you have pictured. Smaller, and not all black.

Show us a pick of your headstock, and we'll tell you what it is.

10. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I just got "saved" by Fender customer support.
    This bass had the made in USA on the head stock.
    And was claimed to be the US standard.

11. Some excellent information on this thread so far...

In addition, the American Standards have "Corona California" on the neck bolt plate.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Again, that only applies to current production.

The old American Standard line didn't neccissarily say Corona on it, depending on when it was made.

Keep in mind, the American Standard line pre dates the factory in Mexico.

13. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    this is what the headstock of an '06 Highway One that i just picked up in the classifieds here, great bass.

DSCF0002-1.jpg
    DSCF0016-1.jpg

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021