1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

american standard or special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Aug 4, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I don't know much about different series of fender as this will only he my second one but I'm looking for an American jazz and Im looking on eBay as they're MUCH cheaper than ones at the shops in my town and I've seen several called special I think it sounds like they would be better but I dont know Marlboro special blend sounds better but is garbage hehe :smug:

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Unless the bass comes with a Fender warranty, I'd be careful on eBay.

3. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Specials are a lower model to the american standard. Both are killer basses but the american standard will spank the special all day long in my opinion.

There's a few american standards listed in the classifieds here on TB you should check out before you buy from ebay.

4. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I haven't seen any on here can you give me the link , I trying to get one less than a grand though I don't really care what year as long as its in good condition

5. Pecking order in my opinion:

2012 American Standard>American Standard>American Special.

Be careful on evil bay.

6. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Evil bay hehe have they ever screwed you

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Be careful when you say that you dont care what year it is ... certain eras of Fender basses carry a higher value than others, as well as certain models ...

.. when you say you are looking for an American Jazz, and you dont know much about the different series of American basses, may I respectfully suggest that you do a little homework, and an education process that will more than likely save you a few bucks, and hopefully place you a little more solidly in the position of a 'seller' should you choose to ever move your selection along ...

... there are several versions of American Jazzes, and several different 'eras' of each ... you will/should become familiar with the terms Highway 1, Highway ONE (not the same), American SERIES, American Standard, American Deluxe, etc ...

... I see all kinds of basses listed on Ebay that read "American Fender" this or that, and they are quite often not even close to what it says that they may be ... it never hurts to run by a question (preferrably with pics) about something you are looking at to the folks here on TB ... you will often learn more than you ever wanted to know about the item you are considering ... JMHO

Edit to add: I just glanced at your profile, and your GAS list contains all non-Fender basses :) ... also I noticed you have a 2012 MIM Standard P ... might I suggest if you like the P, and are in a hurry for the J, consider looking for a USED 2008+ MIM Standard Jazz ... they can be found in the $350-400 range, are generally more consistent than some of the older MIM Standards, and will re-sell all day long at that price you paid for it ... OR, if you really want American, look at the American SERIES (2000-2008), as they tend to run a little less money, and seem to be readily available ... again, with a good solid re-sell if you buy wisely ...

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    +1 to all of it.

Buying on TB has been safer for me than any other experience where I can't play it first. Having said that, I'd happily spend a few more bucks if I can pick out a bass I know I like.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't like the logo on the Special. Looks cheap.

10. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    I second buying on TB

You won't get a bass with a twisted neck, ski slope ended fingerboard or worn frets as a suprise.

Bass wishes

11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hi man,
    I got both of them, but for different purposes:
    The American Standard goes a full step dowtuned for my original material thrash metal band;
    The American Special goes ordinarily tuned for my allround rock cover outfit.
    The American Standard sports ultralite machineheads, Vintage HiMass stringthru bridge and very powerful (it's a 2010's) pickups;
    The American Special is very much like your MIM Standard with a GreaseBucket midscoop circuitry and a slightly better overall craftsmanship...

Again: The Standard costs 1 and 1/2 Times more than The Special

So figure it out

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All due respect to the TB marketplace, but there's absolutely no guarantee you won't get those things on a used purchase on here.

13. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Gotta agree with JimmyM, but I do think it's much safer than ebay.

14. jeffwo

jeffwo

Feb 16, 2010
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Man, I just played an American Special Jazz Bass yesterday at a local shop - black with maple neck. It was absolutely awesome! Definitely liked the feel better than the American Standards. I really don;t need another Jazz Bass, but I remain very tempted to go back and but it!