1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Standard Price Question???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by CCTEXAS, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Hello All,

I am in need of some help in pricing an American Standard bass. Does anyone know how much a 50-60 year old American Slandard Cleveland bass should be selling for? I might be interested in a bass near my hometown, but I am not familiar with the older American Standards. What would be a fair price if it is in decent shape?

Thanks in advance,

Manny

2. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'd say a ball park number between $2500 and 3000, depending on condition. But remember it is a buyers market and that should play into your favor.

Good Luck,
    John

3. Steve Swan has a 1940 American Standard that he's asking $3750 for. His description is:

"Another great sounding prewar example of my personal favorite model vintage plywood doublebass. Plain figure Maple plywood top, back, and sides, Plain figure Maple neck, Original halfplate tuners, Replacement Ebony nut, fingerboard, Hill style tailpiece, and tailpiece saddle, Replacement Gotz endpin, Original finish, Maple bridge with adjusters as part of Matt Bohn's restoration and complete setup. Dimensions are: Top length 44 1/4", Upper bout width 21", Middle bout width 15 5/8", Lower bout width 25 7/8", Depth at neck 6 1/4", Depth at upper bout bend 7 7/8", Depth at tail 8", String length 43 1/2". Other repairs by Matt Bohn: Rebuild neck block mortoise and neck heel, button graft, Extension of heel for more overstand and improved neck angle, New soundpost, reglue all loose seams, fill screw holes in neck block area. As with most prewar American Standards, this bass has an easy response and a huge voice with lots of support on the bottom end. Currently strung with Spirocore Weich for pizz play. I might string it with gut strings and use it as my primary outdoor performance bass this summer. With cover"

Pictures are at:
    http://www.steveswanguitars.com/Gallery/American Standard/1940 American Standard/index.html

4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The extension of the heel is a big deal and might be worth the extra$$$.American Standards typically had a neck set too close to the body, making arco difficult. Also, this kept a pretty short bridge, where the bass could use a bit more tension in terms of bridge angle. I had an American Standard years ago and had the neck pulled out. The instrument had a LOT more power.