american standard - should i upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mva, Jul 7, 2002.

1. mva

Jul 1, 2002
    I have an american standard, it was in rough shape when I bought it. After much work I've replaced cracked veneers, exchanged the turd colour for a sturdy blond finish and added a hardwood shim under the fingerboard. It's loud and clear but still lacking in upper harmonics. What is this beastie worth now? What would a complimentary carved bass cost? Ideally I would like to keep her and get a nice orchestra bass to go with.
  2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    These basses sell between $2500 and $5000 on the East Coast, depending on condition and sound. Are you playing it with the original 43" string length? Most players either re-neck or use a nut extension to get the behemoth down to about 42". The original string length sounds boomy, but lacks overtones. Sometimes a good ebony fingerboard does the trick, bringing out the highs and a little more punch. Also, if your top is not too badly collapsed by the soundpost, adjusting it closer to the bridge or installing a harder or narrower post might help. Standards are getting hard to find--I suggest you try to keep it as a gigger...