1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

american standard - should i upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mva, Jul 7, 2002.

1. mva

mva

Jul 1, 2002
    I have an american standard, it was in rough shape when I bought it. After much work I've replaced cracked veneers, exchanged the turd colour for a sturdy blond finish and added a hardwood shim under the fingerboard. It's loud and clear but still lacking in upper harmonics. What is this beastie worth now? What would a complimentary carved bass cost? Ideally I would like to keep her and get a nice orchestra bass to go with.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    These basses sell between $2500 and $5000 on the East Coast, depending on condition and sound. Are you playing it with the original 43" string length? Most players either re-neck or use a nut extension to get the behemoth down to about 42". The original string length sounds boomy, but lacks overtones. Sometimes a good ebony fingerboard does the trick, bringing out the highs and a little more punch. Also, if your top is not too badly collapsed by the soundpost, adjusting it closer to the bridge or installing a harder or narrower post might help. Standards are getting hard to find--I suggest you try to keep it as a gigger...