1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

American Standard Single-Coil Jazz Bass VS Custom Shop '60s Single-Coil Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by siote, Mar 5, 2013.

1. siote

siote

May 23, 2006
    Philippines
    Hi, anyone here who has tried the 2012 Fender American Series Jazz Bass both 4-string and 5-string version? I'm thinking of buying one but I'm torn between these two. I really wanted to go back to 5 strings but I also like the pickups of the 4 strings version... Are there a lot of differences between the American Standard Single-Coil Jazz Bass (5 strings) VS Custom Shop '60s Single-Coil Jazz Bass (4 strings)?

Btw, We don't have access to these basses in this side of the planet so I won't be able to try them out first before purchasing.

Thanks.

2. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Hi, five string and four string basses just have different sounds to begin with even with the same manufacturer and model. Just the dynamic of a bigger body, neck and fingerboard add something to the equation. The custom shop pickups might have a bit more growl, but the singles on the fiver are nice standard singles. They are not overwound like the 4 string version so that would be a difference also. I noticed it, but this is not a fair comparison by any means - if you're a 5 string player go for the five and likewise if you favor 4 strings. If you want a bass voiced with the custom shop 60's pickups you've already made up your mind. Good luck, let us know what you decide.