1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

American Standard VS Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amfmsb, Sep 8, 2008.

1. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    I’m in the market for a new bass. I want a 4-sting black Jazz bass with a maple neck. I’m between the 2008 American Standard, and the Geddy Lee signature model. For those of you who have played both, I’d really appreciate a comparison of the two. The price difference is not that big of a deal to me. I’m mostly concerned with playability and sound- I really dig a bright sounding maple neck. I plan on installing an Audere Jazz plate preamp, so comments along those lines are welcomed too. Also, does the Geddy Lee bass have real inlays or are they painted?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    They're both good basses, just depends on which you prefer. I think the newer Geddy's are painted on.

3. Plus the Geddy has 70's pickup spacing, which puts the bridge pickup a tiny bit closer to the bridge itself. It also has a thin gloss neck. But otherwise, I think they're very similar.

4. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i rather have the MIA, the main features of the GL are the pup spacing and the really thin neck(wich i like) but the MIA is just superior in terms of quality

5. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    how is the quality better?

6. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    If you're talking the '08 American Standard,then IMO it's a matter of which neck you prefer they are equal in buld quality Geddy being more agresssive sounding. If it's the pre '08 then IMO the geddy hands down,the '08's I've played have been excellent every one of them & I've played around 15 of them.

Having said all that I like my jazz passive,I'd never put a pre in my Geddy as the main thing about the Geddy is the organic growel that I feel a pre spoils.

Just my 2 pence

7. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have a Geddy (two of them, actually) with an Audere, and it's my favorite bass. I really think you ought to try playing each and see which you prefer, but you won't go wrong with either one. The Geds are really nice, IMO. The neck's thinner than most Jazz Basses, though, so be sure that's what you're looking for. That's why I'd advise you to give them each a try. I like the really thin neck, but not everyone does.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Funny you mention it, my buddy has a 2000-something MIA fender jazz w/ the S1 switch. I have a Geddy Lee sig bass. I didn't think they'd be that much different

He came over and plugged right into my rig that I always use at rehearsal, same volume settings. I was AMAZED at how much LOUDER his actual bass was with the S1 switch flipped on! So, I'd say if you're going for serious boost, grab the MIA w/ the S1 switch. But I still love my Geddy :)

9. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I've played both and I own '08 J-Bass. These new Fenders are super quality basses. Geddy looks really poor comparing to them (especially chrome parts). I aslo don't like finish on Geddy's neck.
    Those guitars have got different neck profiles: Geddy's neck is thin "c", Standart's neck is modern "c" which is noticeable fatter. I prefer thinner necks and for me this is the only advantage that Geddy has.

Hope that helps.

10. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Fender ought to rename the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass the "Canadian Standard Jazz Bass." Ha. (small joke) I'm not sure if I can name another Canadian bass player. Bryan Adams, maybe. Never thought about it before now, actually. Ok, sorry to be off topic... Carry on...

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I have owned both and there is no difference in quality IMO.

I actually liked the Geddy Lee Jazz better than my American Standards. The neck is thin and it was the easiest (and fastest if that makes sense!) neck I have ever played. It also cuts a bit better then the AM STD IMO.

Best of all? An Am STd is $900-1000 used and a Geddy is $500-700.

As always, try them both and buy what suits you better.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1! :)

13. I had a 2007 American Jazz that was really well made but it never clicked with me. I moved into an American P but bought a Geddy Lee two weeks ago to replace it and my god, the difference is amazing! The Geddy is fast, punchy and fun to play! Compared to the American, it's just so much better for me.

Also, the Geddy is much cheaper (as said previously). I'd fully recommend it to anyone!

14. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    It's made in Japan....

:eyebrow:

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Me! :)

16. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Dave Young (Accoustic) & Alain Caron (Electric) to name just a couple, EH?

17. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    can anyone comment on the weight of their Geddy Lee Sig. bass. I've heard they are heavy?

18. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    :hyper::hyper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The American Standard jazz basses are the best of the Fenders ...

20. I'm tackling the same issue right now. (I searched the forum that's why this is resurrected.) The American Jazz looks better in terms of quality and the strings are strung through the body, but the Geddy Lee was much more enjoyable for me to play. I think the Geddy looks cooler, too. I'm torn.