American Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by leejohn01, Sep 16, 2005.

1. leejohn01

leejohn01 Guest

Aug 26, 2001
    Was dusting off my old American Standard the other day and was wondering how old it might be? Anyone with info on AS serial #'s?

2. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    I own #731 and #2753. If you've ever visited Roger Stowers site about Kay basses, he now has begun collecting info on American Standards. He would like to know color, label placement, etc., etc., to begin compiling a database in order to help those of us LUCKY enough to own one (or in my case, two) of these fine basses.

Tons of folks have it in their heads that these basses were first available in 1925-1926. They're about a decade off. 1936 was the first year for any print advertising of these instruments, per the HN White site.

It probably wouldn't have made much business sense to build them for 10 years without doing any advertising (unless they knew there would be the demand there is for them now, and were trying to get a good stockpile going) <G>

Though I'm no expert, I can read pretty well and can do math fairly well. Since the HN Wiite company were the BUILDERS of these basses (as well as the King Moretones) they SHOULD know the prodution dates. That's not to say they have a solid database of info to pore over, but at least it's a starting point.

What's the number of your American Standard?

Another strange thing is the fact that we BOTH own an American Standard AND a Gretch bass as well.
  3. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have number 410, which according to Mr. Schnitzer, was made in the early/mid 1950's. Apparently it is the "second generation" of basses. Most people insist that the serial number makes it much earlier than the 50' I am not sure if they started back at zero for the second generation of basses.

4. leejohn01

leejohn01 Guest

Aug 26, 2001
    My American Standard is #2127. Based on testimony from the original owner's family, it's possible this bass is from the early 1950's.

My Gretsch is a 1937 Model C-1, based on Kay info. I have a letter from Duke Kramer who worked for Gretsch from back in the 1930's. He verified the Gretsch-Kay connection.

I have other basses, but these are my favorites.

Thanks for the info.